Stringer replacement...noob, please discuss options with me...been reading alot

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sprint18, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Sprint18

Sprint18 Mind-full Appetite!!!

ttt

input?

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

personally had no problem with polyester and its a lot cheaper. add 20 % acetone to first coat ..takes longer to set but soaks into wood very well..how long are you going to keep the boat ? Whats it worth etc .....
    The glass mat is treated to stiffen it and this goes to mush when you hit it with poly ...not suitable for epoxy use 500g ist faster than two layers of 250g..look for deals on ebay as these often inc the catalyist and the shipping goes down the more you buy...

Note 1sq m 500g matt takes 1.25 kg resin to fully soak it

Cling film is very good to pull the matt/resin into shape on outside edges and comes off leaving a shiney finish ....also good to wrap polystyrene whiich melts when the resisn touches it...

All your photos are too close up we carnt tell which bit of the boat they are ..but it looks bad bad bad ...

now make a decision and get on with it summer is comming ....

3. Sprint18

I have 7 rough cut 2x10 white oak timbers here to build the cradle with. Tomorrow is the day i pull the tank (with help finally) and get the cradle built. i'm fairly concerned with keeping the hull shape while I gut the wood. So i plan to put the supports on end under the chine flats. all six. (will take pics in the morning, been up since 2pm thursday....tired.) then it will be empty and on the floor in the garage. then the rough stuff starts. Should only take a week to gut the transom ans plywood. maybe a few more days after that i will have the glass ready to template making. There is no way I will get that wood out in one piece to make a template from. plus i want to make changes.

1994 Wellcraft Scarab Sprint 185 $6k (not much for some of you)

keeping it for at least 5-8 more years....maybe more after all this.

I am the type of person who is very maticulious and analitical. i have pretty good mech skills and no fear of digging deep into stuff.

better prespective now? like I said more pics tomorrow

Thanks again. Just sorting out my path through this. I want to take this one right up the middle....not the cheap way and don't need the most expensive materials.

Just want a solid ride, done right!

4. Sprint18

update:

Tank/cockpit bulkhead is solid and dry. Decided not to rip any of that out. I'll just clean up and flush the tank. drop a new sender/pickup in there for good measure.

I got most of the foam out with a square slim shovel, worked very well. That foam is tough stuff!

Got the cradle built, but I'll have to shim it in the few spots because my garage floor has a small rise. no big deal, but I don't want that to transfer into the hull from the weight/time. I also had the idea of using some soft open cell foam in a few layers to cushion the hull and take up some of the gaps and pressure points. Overkill...maybe but a good idea none the less. I'll be putting it down on the cradle this weds. Enlisting help already.

Keep this pace and I'll be done with this work buy mid june, then paint and engine work by hopefully the 4th of july. have a painter already and most of the transom assy is rebuilt with new stuff. Engine is at the machine shop for 4-bolt mains etc. Will take some time to get the unexpected stuff done too. I might get it all finished by the last holiday of the summer. maybe;)

I'm cookin... usually takes longer for me to make progress, but I have lots of help this time. Everyone wants a ride :D

5. Sprint18

been busy...:D

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.