stringer issues

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by boatboy21, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its all in the way you look at it !!

woven roving is ok and lots people us it but what they use it for and how they use it they really only getting 50% of the strength thats actually needed as most of the glass is doing stuff all .
    triaxle on the other hand all the strands like 100% are working for you so one layer of triaxle is really as good as 2 layers of woven !!
    Its all about the direction that the strands of glass run !! if strands are running along the side of a stringer they doing absolutly nothing so 50%of the woven is just there for the free ride !!its the strands running from the hulll up and over the stringer that are doing the work !!
    Double bias glass is better than woven roving for the same weight and 100% if the strands are doing there job .
    All is never as it seems !!:confused:

2. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

Have you guys ever used a flush mount arbor with diamond blades. ......you can not use a guard with them. Just be careful.you will be impressed.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Boatbuilder, do you have a flush mount/diamond blade franchise? I'm kidding, but you have shown a lot of favor to this setup (which I use as well) in recent posts.

4. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

I just discovered it.lol. its kinda like a new toy...

5. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Can you direct me to a good supplier of the adapter for flush mount to an angle grinder

Thank you

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any tool supply and even the big box stores carry both flush mount adapters and diamond blades. Better pricing is available on line, but you'll have to eat some shipping.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

And while you using your flush mounted diamond blade make sure you are wearing something better like as in much better than a ordinary paper mask !!
    The ever so fine dust is not good for the lungs and any where else !! Cover up and wash with warm soapy water when you finished . no itchs but not goog for the skin the lungs or nasal passages !! you only live once and can take a long time to die !!

8. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks Par and Tunnels

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You could have a problem already !!

Reading the first post i see your using epoxy for the sticking in and coving !! what resin will you be using to glass with ??
    REMEMBER is you start with using epoxyies then you need to carry on with using epoxy !!
    Polyester and Vinylester dont stick very well !! sometimes they dont stick to epoxy at all !! so your coving in epoxy the glassing my not stick to each other ??:eek: