Starting big, a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by matthait, Mar 22, 2008.

1. matthait

matthait Dreamer

Hi all. Names Matthew. I got a question concerning my next (first real) build project. I have plans for the 42 foot pacific by Ted Brewer. I've done quite a bit of research into different designs (3 years worth) and at the moment I'm looking at the pacific study plans with an eager excitement. It seems to have everything in a boat that I'm looking for.

My father 55ish wont fly, scared of planes and my brother (24) and i (21) plan on taking him and my mother around Europe and Asia to the places where we both lived for some time after completing high school in New York. So far it looks like it will be four or five of us on this trip, with an open return date. Expecting 6 months to 3 years, tide what may. Does the pacific fit my needs?

Secondly I'm looking to do the construction entirely myself and my brother a carpenter. But that depends on where the ship me next, (and if he cares to follow). Is it wise to jump head first into a project of this size and budget or, would it be wise to perfect the method and style of construction (carvel or strip, leaning toward carvel) on smaller model like versions, or should i start by tackling a trailer-able 14 or so footer.?

A few other things that might be relative is that, so far i am the only one with any sailing experience in my family. Grew up with fiberglass sunfish and j boats. Then after moving to Thailand I did a lot of shakedown cruses, delivers and a few regattas. If i finish the boat before my Navy contract is up (five or so years) I plan on living aboard it prior to and after the trip. Where later i plan to solo with it, or maybe grab a drifter or two to help with the trip.

Am i going about this the right way, or is my head still in the clouds?

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The boat sounds right for what you want to do.

Building the first boat of that size is a significant project. Newcomers to building usually underestimate the cost. You are aiming to build and equip a small home for 5 people that has to stand the rigours of the ocean and gale force winds. It will cost more than an much larger house to build and equip.

Most people see a boat as the hull/s. This is only one part. Depending on how it is built it will be about one third the cost of the whole boat. So the first step is to determine a comprehensive equipment list and work out where you are going to get it all from and the cost. Can you afford it? Cutting corners usually ends in disappointment or much worse.

There are plenty here who can help with a list - there might be one here already. By the time you have done this you should be in a good position to determine the value in a second hand boat. Generally these are priced well below their cost and are usually the best way to get started. The chances of an inexperienced builder producing something that rivals the value of a carefully selected second hand boat for the same cost is very low.

There is also opinion expressed here that big cats are the new fad so this is forcing the price of large second hand monos down. I would much prefer the latter for serious cruising.

Rick W.

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Rick has some excellent points, both about building and about the market forces affecting used boat prices.

42' is a pretty big and costly project on which to learn. Building a smaller and simpler boat first will give valuable experience while teaching the skills needed to make the big project go smoother. A day sailer with a small cabin, 18 -22 ft would be a serious project, but would not eat up a fortune.

Buying a carefully chosen and surveyed used boat is worth considering. If you are wanting to build to earn the feeling of accomplishment, just know that the maintenance, modifications (adding, removing, relocating fittings and equipment) and preparation for a long offshore passage of an existing boat are substantial tasks that need to be done precisely right, and will be time and money consuming by themselves. Everyone's standards and desires are unique, but I have gone the route of buying a classic wood boat, then repairing, refinishing, and upgrading extensively over two years. It was a big investment in time and money, but I felt she was truly mine because I had invested so much of myself in her, far more than just a purchase price.

Whichever way you go, your goal is a great one, and you are recognizing that the whole thing will take years. Not a bad thing to look forward to. :)

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Rick and Charme pretty much covered it
    i will chuck in my two cents Worth
    I had a dream like you, I started sailing at 13
    i had number of dinghys. but always wanted my own offshore yacht
    With no real skills except welding and quals in diesel fitting, I started a 43 footer Steel I started with 3000, it took 7 years on and off and finally I sailed to the Pacific
    Young men can do anything, IF the will and drive and work ethic are there
    From there, one thing led to another, I worked for a major super yacht builder in alloy and then started my own company in 85
    Go for it, you will have pain and cussing, and tears
    But you will have help at hand here

5. kharee

kharee Junior Member

re:Starting big

I am 60 years old. I have three sets of boat plans. I have not built anything. Still dreaming. Go for your dream now Matt. I am sure that when you are 60 your grandchildren will love hanging out with their Gramps on his old pacific cruiser. Go Now Matt!

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

matthait,

To build or not to build, that is the question.

I am a boatbuilder by trade, yet I would suggest that you buy a good second hand boat, there certainly are very good bargains out there.

IF.... you really do wish to build your own boat, then do so, if you are only doing it on the belief that it will be cheaper, do not build it, buy one. You will get a very good boat for about 150 to 200K second hand, it will cost you that nuch to build one, but you could have been cruising on a second hand one for two years instead. If purchased correctly, you will not loose money on it.

I have owned many boats in my life, never lost on a single one.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

What I don't quite understand is that if you're in the navy, and they ship you somewhere, what are you going to do with an unfinished, immovable hull?

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Lubs, us boatbuilder can sometimes tend to put people off, becuz we know the struggle, But starting with nothing is a way of enforced saving , putting 4000 hours in a boat is a good thing to do. You can also look around for used sails, and spars and engine which will save lots
    Building can be a very big strain upon marriages, many see their dream as a passport to a new life
    Many founder on the tricky uncharted waters before the launch day comes I still say Go for it

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I have done it both ways:eek: I built a large schooner (74'-0")from plans , 26' boats from kits and I have re-built two salvaged boats. You will spend about a year of week-ends just building the strong back and mold, before you even start to foam and Glass the hull. I have found that in restoring a used / damaged hull you get the same feeling of accomplishment in a shorter amount of time. There are numerous reasons for restoring rather than building, and I could make a long list, but if you are anything like me you will have to get that first build out of the way, and nothing anyone can say will deter you. Your second boat will be a rebuild. Go for it.;)

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k.hehe,,,heres my 4.5 cents worth,,,,,since your a millionaire why dont you just buy a boat,,and build your life raft hehe,,,oh,,,your not a millionaire,,then why build such a big boat on ya first try?,,,,like others have said,,,you can buy a used boat,,with the insides gutted,,and paint peeling,,and half your deck missing,,and the money you put in the old,,,,will build your hull,,,,maybe if your cheap hehe,,,,ive built many boats, owned none ( well not that i'll admit anyways ) and have seen guys build a skiff, with all the satisfaction of a person building a 60',,,,and since you want ya parents to see these places,,why not buy used,,put $40,000.00 in it,,,and build "your" boat as time and money allows,,,,nother thought,,,,have you ever seen anyone (well,,a smart person) build anything of that size their first time out?,,and half way through glassing isnt the time for a brain cramp,,or a thought of,,,CHIT,,how did they say to do that. Most people will try something small,, like a 12' skiff,,then paint it,,,make believe its a biggone,,do all the painting,,put some lights on it, small outboard,,and if you'll take ya kids out on it for a ALL DAY trip,,,then ya must have confidence in it,,,then its time to move up. try a small daysailor and deck it out with the big boy toys,,,,if you can do that,,then you can build a real boat. but if you cant,,you only out a few bucks.,,,,Just so everyone else dont give me crap bout being nice,,,WHAT ta hell are you thinking??,,putting you parents life on the line for a "maybe i can build it safe enough"
    hehe ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.