Square-back Canoe Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by paulkasman, Sep 13, 2009.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

My friend's boat was so sharp you literally needed bandaids, since the metal edges were exposed. No one ever got hurt, though. HAHA. He used sheet metal in lieu of birchbark, which is what his Chickasaw ancestors used. It worked great, but it was unsightly. His later efforts were vast improvements.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

While we speculate here, we may as well mention the Puddle Duck Racer. It is the easiest boat build one could imagine, It is cheap to build, it will tolerate the Goldie even if he is excited. It'll also hold a bunch of cargo. the PDR is intended to be a sail boat but it will work alright with modest troller or small outboard. It is less than 8 feet long and it will stand up in your garage and occupy minimum space. Google PDR

3. hoytedow

Hey, messabout, I have a doctor friend who lost a friend there at Lake Parker when his sailboat mast hit a powerline there at the boat ramp. It is a nice lake, though.

4. paulkasman

paulkasman New Member

So many great ideas, and as I research them I am coming across so many beautiful small boats. I love the idea of a two piece boat that bolts together and stores one piece inside the other. I'm surprised you don't see that more often.

The PDR is a great little craft, but I think I want to aim for something with more attractive lines. I'm a decent woodworker. So, I probably don't need to go really ultra simple. But, it sure looks like it would be the right size and plenty stable.

Thanks guys.

Paul

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Hoytedow; The incident to which you refer was tragic. The young fellow who lost his life was a high school student. He was a really neat kid who was respected and admired by his peers, including my daughter, and the people who knew him. At that time there were three ramps that accessed the lake. The south ramp, intended for power boaters, I suppose, had high tension lines running across the ramp at about 20 more or less feet in elevation. The kids were to launch their Hobie there. A rigged Hobie on a trailer is more than 20 feet in height. That ramp has been destroyed and there are now several others that have no such danger overhead. I do not recall whether the tort lawyers became involved. It made no difference to the neat, now dead, kid.

Perhaps we have hijacked this thread but it is for a very good cause, worthy of notice. I really like and generally respect the forum members even though I sometimes disagree. I beseech you one and all to be very wary of the hazards of launching ramps. You can be killed there in spite of your innocence.

In a comical version of absence of attention, I pulled my sailboat out of the north ramp of lake Parker with mast still in stepped position. Considerate person that I am, I continued to drive out of the way of another person who wished to use the ramp. The problem was that an oak tree, 50 yards away, was waiting in stealthy silence. The oak tree won and my mast lost the encounter. The oak tree was not equipped with deadly electricity and I survived, albeit embarassed,. I messed up a perfectly elegant mast step. Even veteran sailors can screw up. Please all you sailors out there keep your attention focussed on reality.

6. hoytedow

The doctor's name is Deen King, and he is a very nice person. Your daughter probably knows him.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

8' ain't much, but I've seen these in action.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/1379960752.html

8 ft pram river drifter - $1000 (monterey )

Date: 2009-09-17, 7:18PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-dbn4s-1379960752@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2007 aluminum pram 8 ft long ,about 46 in wide ,16 in deep,coat it on bottom / anti skid inside/ anchor holds front and rear . rod holder built in custom transom no oars .or motor just the boat 1000.00 or best

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    I've seen them paddled with one big single canoe paddle.

PostingID: 1379960752

8. Matias Tuomela

Matias Tuomela New Member

Hi, this is very old thread but pistnbroke's small boat is exactly what I'm lookin for. Any ideas where to get plans for boat like that?

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member

Check out Walker Bay 8 foot rowing dinghy,
    Why suffer with the instability of a canoe when you can have one of these

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.