spray rails

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by 650xs, Oct 30, 2005.

1. 650xs

650xs Junior Member

hi guys thanks for great info so far,my next tech question is which is more suited to my needs for short power boat racing (circuit in uk)on a 16 foot vee hull 60/75 mph for tight turning, spray rails inline or hooked towardsmiddle of vee ,as i have seen both ,plus a small blade 6/8 " away fro transom about 8/12"s long inline screwed to one of the rails,i think this is to stop slipping side ways at high speed turns like hydro s and cats ,:) am i on the wright track???? as always very grateful of all info taa john:D

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Usually, copying the design of your fastest competitor is the best starting point. After that, modify to your hearts content.

3. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

try a 1/2 x 1/2 to 3/4 x 3/4 which ever you wish down the keel round over each side of the keelson which is what it would be at that point to make it round and i bet you stick the corners pretty good. which size would be depending on how hard you want to stick but you don't want to flip.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

5. 650xs

650xs Junior Member

hi guys ,i ve seen spray rails from the edge of the chine to middle of keel spaced out of course,instead of being flat they have been quite deep and hung at a angle towards the the keel ,i know this as bieng called a hooked rail?????........ ,plus a small 8/12 inch finn on the side of the boat ,which when is running into the corner to stop slip at high speeds ,like hydros have ,i think i will try different set ups while on my winter test program on old hull which we have first,so any cock ups won t matter ,get it wright for our main boats race boats. all this to happen on a 14plus circuit racer well must get on ......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.