Sportfisher bow angle

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lutjanis, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Lutjanis

Lutjanis New Member

Hi Guys

I am putting together a 7.5m alloy sport fisher and am wondering what the best angle from the baseline to the bow is and how to calculate it.

Can anyone help me out?

-Lutjanis

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm not sure what angle you are talking about. However, all angles will be dependent on the rest of the design.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're talking about the rake of the bow in profile, just about any angle will do, though some are better then others at certain things (like knocking down spray). If you're referring to the entry half angle (plan view) then this will depend on your hull form and other design goals.

4. Lutjanis

Lutjanis New Member

Thanks guys

I was talking about the rake angle entry in profile. I am trying to find a balance between smooth entry, minimising pitching and a reduction in spray. Guess I'll just have to run a few models to get it right...

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Pillage...

Hello...

There are a lot of sportfishers out there - and a lot of good pics of same running at speed...

Viking is still my favourite - capture the pics - and plunk them as background images in your software when you find a good one...

It is really a matter of taste - I usually throw the stems away...:)

Check out my Departure 47 - I should get back to it - but I am feeling a bit knawed upon just now - sorry to plug my own mental meanderings - http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9922...

See http://www.vikingyachts.com/main/index.asp - man I wish I had one of those little 5 axis mills...

Good luck...

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.