Split mold for hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Sam III, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Oh yeah:
    good show. Keep on keep'n on. just make a big tabe on wheels and cut that suck'a in half. Great..........
    Need Pic's. . . .man......where are the pic's??????

2. Sam III

Sam III Junior Member

OK.... Here they are.

Attached Files:

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Cool man,
    What ya gonna do next? Don't take the plug out yet!!!!
    Build the table and the RIBs for the mold. everything is "inside out" at this point.....get me. Our motto is Stiff, I mean really stiff, Stiff Stiff. Like Concrete stiff.
    Snap a chalk line on that keel flange and get her real straight......Now, remember how you made the first parting plane, do the same thing but this time they don't part. they should run from port to starboard Because they are the ribs for transverse geometry: about every 18" (inches) should do it. Oh yea, go ahead and fillet and triple up the glass on that flange.

4. Sam III

Sam III Junior Member

I will be creating the cradle this week. Plan was to build it as one floor grid box to cut in half after I finished it so the mold will split.

With the mold over 1/2" thick on the flanges and body, is it necessary to support every 18"?

I was planning to put floor mat foam between the ribs and the mold and then tab them on. Make sense? More to hold than create more structure to the mold.

Thanks for the input.

Sam

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

SamIII,
    sure, just make it stiff, don't let it twist and mess-up you geometry.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sam, on my tooling I use longtitudinal stringers, I use split pvc tube(90mm) & lightly tab them full length & sandwich some 50mm(2") uni tape on the stringer cap -the tabbing from each side 1oz or 1.5oz mat & the uni goes in between, then attach the roll frames/support to the stringers & mold flanges only. You want to avoid transverse tabbing & print where ever you can esp on the topsides, just the way I like to do it, of course theres plenty of other options.I really like your 650 scheme & all the best & success with it from Jeff.

7. Sam III

Sam III Junior Member

Jeff,

Could you post a picture or a sketch? I think I understand what you are telling me but am not sure.

Sam

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

pvc stringer forms

photo ebay 104.JPG

photo ebay 103.JPG I'll try attaching a picture(never done it before), I think I did, I'll post & find out! Looks like it worked & I aint as IT inept as I like to make out. THe stringers are formed over split 90mm(about 3 3/4") pvc stormwater pipe, you just hotmelt glue em on & sometimes give em a bit of heat gun action or some kerf cuts to get a bend & lay some chopped strand mat over then your uni tape cap & some more chop tabbing, its probably a bit "quick & dirty" but approximates a trapezoidal stringer form for ease & low cost. The deeper stringer forms on that mold in the topsides region are additions of ply scarfed & bracketed through the external roll bulkheads, they've got chop & uni caps as well, reason being that the pictured mold is split into 6 longtitudinal sections at the rabbet/keel line, at the boot top line to port & stb, at the hull to deck line port & stb, & also down the crown of the deck, the topsides panels needed a "bit of extra stiffness" for when dissassembled, the flnges also give some nice longti stiffness too.All the best in your endeavours from Jeff.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  9. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Jeff,
    WOW, smoke'n job jeff. What is it? Wing. Hey everybody, Jeff has a Gantry crane, let's all go to his house.

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Thanks RR, its a hull & hulldeck mold for a 41' sailing catamaran & I got some small people that love to set some webbing slings on those hooks & swing & traverse the shed like mini Tarzans(but dont tell Mum). All the best from Jeff:)

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Heres a look from further back & closer up. nozzles mold seawind 068.JPG

nozzles mold seawind 069.JPG

From Jeff

12. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Pay attention SamIII. . (JK!). . I was going to say Catameran. I was!

13. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Keep up the pix, I love this thread!

We are kinda' "in the same boat" we are tooling up a somewhat similar 25' sailboat. It looks like you are a bit ahead of us though. Makes me jealous! :)

-jim lee

14. Sam III

Sam III Junior Member

Took all day Friday to get the molds off the boat and rotated correct side up.

But finished and stored in the container by evening time.....

No they have not been buffed.

Now on to the deck.....

Sam

Attached Files:

15. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Wow, SamIII very cool. Nice color too. "what no pics of stringers".
    Note: see how Jeff's mold is siting. do that. I know I tend to get a little picky about things, but It is not a good idea to put a green mold in a hot container without being--how do I say--supported, or sitting in a way that it might twist. Hey, "just trying to see the truck before it gets here".