Split Mainsail. Has this been tried before?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Omeron, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Hansen Aerosprt

Hansen Aerosprt Junior Member

No intention to stifle discussion on a sailing development I worked very hard on which is still relevant today. A patent is simply a means of laying out publically a description of an invention or process in exchange for a period of exclusivity (which maybe be transferred via licensing, etc.) Seems you choose to immediately attack it's validity rather than continue the discussion. That is why I asked. In any case, anyone out there is free to use the development as they wish. If they need help building one, they have at least one source to look at and know who to contact.
    - Bill

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hmm, if I am not mistaken, a patent is in my book something you take out to protect your investment. Not something you do in order to share the stuff.

I didn't decide to "attack" out of the blue. Your headline states which patent it is, for one, and the first sentence reads:

That to me is an indicator, not of willingless to share, but rather a defense of the mentioned exclusivity. I can see that you _meant_ something else, but reacting to what you actually wrote in that form you wrote it, really cannot be called an attack. But whatever floats your boat.

3. MalSmith

MalSmith Ignorant boat designer

Patents

As I understand it, the original intent of the patent system was to prevent ideas from being lost by encouraging people to publish them. Hence the deal is that you get a limited period of exclusivity in return for public discolsure.

Mal.

4. Hansen Aerosprt

Hansen Aerosprt Junior Member

Bagger:
    I wrote: "We patented this system in 1987." Simple fact. Then I explained what it was. Never mentioned exclusivity or protecting anything.
    Your first reply was: "I doubt that patent will hold water over here."
    That was why I asked you the reason for this. In any case, glad you like the idea. Time to move on. Now, anyone interested in building one? How about on this boat?

Attached Files:

5. Omeron

Omeron Senior Member

This is not exactly what i was trying to describe, but also very interesting.
    In this world of every crazy idea finding an application, how come this has never been tried?

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Okay, Hansen – I guess we both overreacted. I can agree to that. Truce?

7. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

I am deeply concerned about this idea.

Should a crewperson be caught between the two sides of the sail at the bottom mark it might be necessary to wait until the top mark to release them.

Or potentially it might be a possibility that a crewmember could be misplaced.

5, 6, 7, 8 ...

Eight!

Geez, has anyone seen Steve?

Steve, Speak to me Buddy ...

cmfffffw cowffffffl fufffff

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.