Speed Dream 27 Prototype

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Have to agree, there was little substance in this - and I was looking forward to something more than fantasy propaganda; it was similar to the ephemeral computer "art" advertising introduction for the AC videos (but where the following documentary sections are usually excellent). Having said that, you know that something will be produced with Speed Dream (not a good name) ... so I'm watching with interest.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

How do we know this?

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

oops!

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    Sorry, but its a case of an individual reading more into the title than was there: it was a simple announcement by Lyman Morse that they would be building the proto with a bit of the "why" thrown in-no more, no less!

5. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I really think they are still in the design process. Throwing up ideas, illustrating them, then rejecting some.

Clearly they are doing their level best to generate and maintain interest.

I don't see anything particularly wrong about that.

Also, it gives right headed skeptics something to sneer and scoff at.

Who looses?

I'll laugh, if they pull it off.

To see how many former skeptics knew all along that it would work.

6. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Well, they've committed to build a prototype hull so they're past the idea marketing stage. If they're confident enough to build the tooling & a prototype hul, it's a matter of waiting until they finish construction, rig out the boat and give it a bang.

They noted the hull was 100ft long. I like the sound of that. I was under the impression this was the typical open class 60 or 70ft hull. A 100ft hull will offer many benefits including:

-Maintain displacement & typical crew size (though this boat may require less crew...just a guess).

-Smooth out performance over the waves

-Narrower waterline entry = faster boat

Toss in the hydrofoils and you have yourself a fast boat provided they have the keel & hydrofoils aligned & balanced out OK.

The introduction of the foils here are the big innovation. If the first prototype cannot be tuned properly with regard to the keel & foils, they will be able to capture what they learned & apply it to the next prototype hull.

I still maintain my earlier stance that the keel & foil do appear vulnerable to failure due to their long, skinny size. Today's oceans are full of debris not to mention sea creatures. One smack on a foil or the keel and they will encounter a failure. As such, until this concept has really proven itself I would be more inclined to use this boat in shorter range races where search & rescue operations are logistically more feasible.

I still recall the Hugo Boss keel failure & subsequent rescue down in the Southern Ocean. He was very lucky a fellow racer was able to reach him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNI7I_zll98

7. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Seems to me that "committed to build" is when you cut the check to the builder.
    This doesn't really seem like a Lyman-Morse sort of project to me. I'd be surprised if they were actually the builder.
    Funding for all sorts of sailing programs has sure dried up. I wonder where they're getting the mega $$'s for this wild idea?

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

You think so? Read the first post of this thread. Does it mention who has committed the funding to do this project?

They supposedly let the build contract seven months ago. I wonder how much of a deposit they paid when the contract was signed?

At the time of the announcement it was reported the boat would be sailing by now. So far there isn't any evidence of it sailing, or even being built.

There seems to be evidence it isn't even designed yet. If that's the case why the big announcement seven months ago?

Things are usually done for a reason.

EDIT: Sean beat me to it!

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==============
    Joseph, note the title of this thread-the proto-last I heard-would be 27' . Also, based on the latest renders I've seen the DSS foil is eliminated and the boat has a stepped planing hull with"old style" vertical(when heeled) daggerboards. No hydrofoils. But no telling what will actually hit the water - Vlad is a brilliant and persistant guy with lots of talent. I wish the team good luck(and good financing)!
    Also, note that Banque Populaire V just set THE round the world record using "foil assist" very successfully. That is: one foil on each ama, each capable of lifting a very large proportion of the boats weight and one of the major keys to their success. A couple or three of the Open 60's and three of the VOR 70's are the largest mono's(so far) using some degree of "foil assist". Why Vlad appears to( non-confirmed-just not shown in the renders) have decided against it is a question I'd like to know the answer to....

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Speed Dream Proto

Much more on the proto design but no direct reference to whether they will use a foil similar to DSS or not:
    http://speeddreamblog.blogspot.com/

Picture: proto under construction-
    click on image

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Speed Dream Proto

Just heard from Vlad: they will not be using the DSS foil, at least initially, concentrating on the canting system, telescoping canting strut and the step.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The photo of the "mold" shows no step.

So now the thing has lost the appendage that was really going to revolutionize sailing and is now just a canting keeler?

What is the proposed launch date? Will there be more or less than 10 "updates" before it is built?

13. Gary Baigent

There is something going on in front of the keel pivot - also it appears there is a step in the TOPSIDES? there, on starboard side, can't see the port, hard to tell. If that is just darker wood panel colouring, then it does look pretty conventional. But there is something going on just to the right of the darker paneling.
    The chine appears to run almost to the bow - maybe that's another step?

Attached Files:

14. Gary Baigent

No, wrong, second viewing -port side (chine) has been coved and starboard has yet to be done. And there IS a step directly in front of keel, if you look closely on enlarged image. We were both wrong, Paul.

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I guess the original photo has a lot of foreshortening, because it looks like that step is in a strange place (compared to the sketches).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.