speed around a course

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Bruce Woods, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

OK...Pardon ignorance but..

* = multiply
    / = divide
    ^ = ????

2. Alan M.

Alan M. Senior Member

I like the 44C too - I better, I'm building one. Some progress photo's here:

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewt...&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=easy

3. Meanz Beanz

At least you didn't pick a Comso, you might have been upset when a NS 370 or a Sydney 38 slipped past you to windward :D

One thing I will give the SW1000, I like the cockpit layout. Can't stand these single wheel "sitting on a chair" setup's. You can't sail a boat like that ! Actually I'd like to go one better. Give me three helms on a cat, port and starboard with a decent view of the head of the boat and one inside "just because we can", night watch can be frickin cold. Add that to the indoor outdoor setup on the SW1000 (just suits Oz and the way I use a boat), a bit of length and speed ala Oram then add a decent bridge deck clearance so you can actually drive hard at sea, then we are talking my desires. Slow multis have no reason to be in IMO, fast with a shallow draft is the whole point with as much accommodation as you can with out stuffing the whole thing up.

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Fine shot!

Yes, the formulas are only for proportional comparision of speed potential. They are more thrue at wind speeds when the boats can reach their hull speed.

At light wind also SA/WS ratio is important. WS is wetted surface area. The problem is that WS is not so easy to find. In mono and in trimaran at small heel WS can be quite small. That's why some monos and trimarans are faster than catamarans in light wind.

I don't bet...

Terho

5. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

^ is power, you need a calculator or spreadsheet.
    a^2 = a * a
    a^0.333 is a cubic root of a or a (to) power 0.333
    a^0.25 is a fourth root of a or a (to) power 0.25
    can't tell it better, I'm not native english...

6. Meanz Beanz

OK thanks for that, I'm going to make a spread sheet and play with some numbers just for the heck of it.

Cheers
    MBz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.