Some Recent Findings with Thermal Images from Surveys

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SuenosAzules, Jun 11, 2015.

1. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

Hi everyone. I was going through some of my thermal images from some recent surveys and found a few I thought you would all like to see and to show you how well this technology works for trouble shooting hulls, boat systems, and verifying that damage does or does not exist. I took these images during several surveys of power and sailing vessels with a "Flir" brand "E50" infrared thermal imaging camera. Here are a few:

[​IMG]

This is a thermal image of a powerboat above. Using heat from the inside of the cabin (causing thermal conduction) I was able to see the fiberglass laminates and the deck frame work to look for suspected damage.

[​IMG]

This is what core replacement look like in the deck of a sailboat (the darker rectangular shape). The new core was a PVC type core surrounded by the existing original Balsa wood core deck. It was unnoticeable on the bow deck until I turned the thermal imaging camera on.

[​IMG]

This is a loose keel during the bottom inspection. This was a bolt on type keel on a 1981 Irwin. The keel bolts were loose when inspected from the inside of the main salon.

[​IMG]

This is a thermal image of a large fuel tank as seen through the aluminum of the hull of a sailboat. Notice the transverse frames as well.

[​IMG]

This is moisture / wood deterioration behind a bulkhead on a Bertram Sportfish in the aft main salon area near the window.

To most this technology is unknown. I also advise that anyone using a thermal imaging camera to scan your vessel or vessel's engine be at least a level one certified thermographer. There is a science to it. Shadows and reflective objects can be mistaken for anomalies. The images also need to be properly tuned based on the environmental conditions at the time the thermal images are taken to have the ability to identify actual anomalies. If not properly tuned, the anomalies can hide within the image as some anomalies may only be a few degrees in difference in temperature.

As a surveyor, I was never comfortable with the suggestive techniques that were taught to me when I first got into this business (such as the hammer tests on the hull and the use of just the moisture meter). I use thermal imaging compounded with the other two older methods to solidify my findings. It is one thing to take someone's word, it is another thing to see it for yourself. It is an absolute science if used correctly and has little room for argument when presented.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have been using them to spot wet areas for some years. Another good use is to see the condition of keel bolts.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Also very good for finding high resistance electrical connections, fire hazard, on complex yacht electric systems

Complex electrical systems should be surveyed regularly

4. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

You are correct. Here are two I have found in the past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

What? No meatballs with that spaghetti?

But, seriously, boats are expensive enough you would hope they'd have used some of those gadgets to reign in wiring (or even just twist ties to make it look tidy though still not orderly). Or, in the word of one contractor I once worked for, is that a dream I'm having?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.