Some ideas

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by yipster, Jan 11, 2003.

1. yipster

yipster designer

trouty?

since if it isnt gonna be a cat i am with you that it must be a dog!

:) yipster

still reading your einstein and have heard of ships using towline electric power... interesting!

checked fijnman (stanford prof on magnetism) cant find flaws and your going beyond that, eh... got more...? how much power/weight are we talking about about? on a cat, a swath...?
    got more:?: :?: :?:

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

yipster, and trouty, the two together. :eek:

I think trouty is out fishing. We might not see him for some time.

Gary

3. yipster

yipster designer

:D

Attached Files:

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:eek:
    Trailerable?
    Home-build for under 100K ?
    Sorry Yipster, doesn't really fit into the O-1 ethos. As a proposal for Trouty's fishing machine however.......;)

5. yipster

yipster designer

Garry,
    Thank you for saying!

Will,
    Thank you for the reaction, at least I contributed (to late) some well intended thought to O-1 as I –for one- now believe these requirements would be best met with cats or even better: boats on legs. I believe that for many reasons, but it does not simplify design.

Sorry its so rough sketched Will but these –nasty- legs fold in and are sized for a trailer.
    Can understand do it makes you "eek":eek:

So far the serious part, the funny thing is in doodling around while thinking of trouty’s expression on cats and dogs. The story on free energy, thee, booz and the wc. And than I drew a dog. Don’t you see a dog that lifts its leg in the sketch? It was a coincidence but thought it was funny, sort of appropriate and hope you see it to?

But ok, I’ll keep this one for myself (not in dog form!) as we all like our “own” ideas and boats best I guess. When I got this one worked out a bit (if possible) I’ll show again ok?

On free energy however there is an open worldwide discussion going on and from what I understand so far its not even to expensive or difficult to make.. ok, ok, I still havent seen it, but wouldn’t thAt be a wish to the ghost that came out of the bottle that beached…. (I don’t drink either)

Morning / Goodnight
    Yipster

6. Willallison

Far be it from me to throw cold water on your obviously enthusiastic creativeness - I look forward to watching the idead develop.......

7. Mike D

Mike D Senior Member

yipster

When I saw your sketch I thought it reminded me of something I read about many years ago but I had no idea where to find it. Completely by accident I saw it in this site where I was looking for powering boats. It is the first item in the list

http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm

Some other interesting methods don’t you think? Many other articles on unconventional systems and ideas elsewhere in the site.

Michael

8. yipster

yipster designer

yes Michael, i do think thats very interesting!

forexample:
    talking about free energy...!

great site that gives much more inspiration out of the mainstream just as they mention, thank you!

:) yipster

and incorporating wave energy into a swath seems a sinch, well sort off - getting that speed however... :confused:

Attached Files:

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks for the great link Michael - interesting site!

10. yipster

yipster designer

Hello all,
    Yes it was this rookie that suggested a O-2 category for those of us that are thinking of something out of the box, now I blush seeing O-2 :) :( :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :!: :idea: :?:
    Aim is giving another answer to the same design envelope as we all are in the end boat nuts. Lets hope trouty makes a breakthrough in scalar energy, he also mentioned simply putting the prop up front taking the wave away. Has anyone ever seen such a design, has thoughts about it? Or rigs like in MikeD’s http://www.rexresearch.com/boats/1boat.htm that elsewhere also mentions de Palma’s study on free energy and much more.

How about wave energy for propulsion? Sounds great to me. Just hope there is enough dare and fantasy -time to- here among us to discuss, calculate, maybe later build such a experiment when the theory gets sound.

Who doesn’t like a more stabile, faster and low or free energy (or you name it) boat? Set up a poll? Or maybe it would have been better I’ve started a new tread in O-1? Now O-2 looks strange to me and I’ll tell you in advance I cant put my money where my mouth is! And thanks for getting the bug out of “my” control panel Jeff so I can delete and upload my “own” bugs again.

yipster
    (blush)

11. Willallison

Option 2 huh...? Shouldn't we finish O-1 1st?

That aside, your SWATH is an interesting concept Yipster. Without any expertise in the field I'm not terribly qualified to comment - but hell that's never stopped me before !:D

With the size constraints you have placed on the boat (ie the same as those for O-1) you are faced with a boat who's crew (and their gear) make up a fairly big proportion of the total displacement. Subsequently any variations in crew numbers etc will have a significant effect on that displacement.

The very thing that makes a SWATH comfortable in rough water - the almost constant displacement regardless of immersion depth - means that it is greatly affected by large percentage changes in weight.

Unless you can come up with a way for ensuring that the crew will always sit in the same place and will always bring a given amount of gear aboard (such as could be the case if this were a commercial boat, such as search and rescue...), then I'd suggest that the concept would only begin to make sense for much larger vessels.

Also, if we are to consider an O-2 then I suspect there are those on the boards who would like to see us tackle something completely different to O-1 - perhaps a displacement boat - or, dare I say it - maybe even a snailboat....:eek: :eek:

12. yipster

yipster designer

You got some points there. A swath sure is interesting and like with many things it’s a matter of trade offs I think.

Take wave energy: high speeds can be obtained I believe but than systems I can think of now put the force on the weakest points. However a tri? But having such a device for free energy onboard beats a generator it seems to me.

Same goes for a swath, just trying to find something on the pro side. A smaller swath is only taking the chop and banging out, in giant swells it’s a different story, but imagine yourself anchored without too much dancing, that’s nice!

Balance can be manipulated by having less SWA, in design and operation and submerged trim tabs can be added for speed and cornering. How much gear and people you carry around usually? Than have a displacement (with its own "trade-offs") still weight distribution must be made in any boat. Specialy in a swath center of gravity also, as said it doesnt simplify design. But did you check the difference the swath concept makes in reduced wave drag? That means speed and economy!

As for O-2 ya think its better to set up a poll? With pleasure I’ve since some time been reading O-1, just thought (since these ideas are completely different) not to break that up…

yipster

13. yipster

yipster designer

[​IMG]
    harry schoell and his groundeffect "boat" showing it doesnt has to be thaaaat big...
    i like it:Dyipster

14. yipster

yipster designer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2003

15. yipster

yipster designer

struthkeelswathenginehull,

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.