Somali pirate chief lured to Belgium and arrested . . .

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Angélique, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Corruption and piracy are unregulated capitalism at work. Capitalism is a ceaseless spiral of materialism and consumerism, with various environmental and social affects, some of them 'suboptimal'.

[​IMG]

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

That is some fine Marxist propaganda you posted there, SamSam.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Yeah? Is it wrong or maybe kind of right?

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I don't doubt that Hoyt, but I didn't respond on your personal life, only on the things you wrote here.

Cheers,
    Angel

5. hoytedow

I am just saying I don't consume much, as compared to say, well, most anybody outside of Africa. ;)

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's completely backwards from the truth. It's my understanding that one of the root causes of the piracy epidemic was the complete breakdown of the central government in Somalia. It effectively had none for years - and what it has now is propped up by foreign governments and only really controls a small part of the country.

That power vacuum meant there was no one to stop foreign fishing fleets from depleting the fishing stocks the Somali fishermen had depended on for generations. It also meant there was no one to stop them when they turned to piracy instead, much less offer them a legal and viable alternative.

7. hoytedow

That comment was in regards to the Niger region, but whatever.

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Since I know for a fact that bribing an Australian (Federal or State or local govt) official is a crime, I call that article total crap and therefore any conclusions derived from it are also total crap.

PDW

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

OK guys, do you remember Black Hawk Down?

The movie was about 1993 Somalia. Warlords had started an un-Civil-War to destabilize the Government, Pres. Clinton had American troops try to help like in Kosovo. http://www.npr.org/2013/10/05/229561805/what-a-downed-black-hawk-in-somalia-taught-america

Kosovo worked, kind of, Somalia was a disaster.

One of the major players in Somalia was a small time thug named Osama bin-Laden. Somalia offered to capture bin Laden and they offered to sell him to Saudi Arabia for about $1 Million (memory) .... President Clinton seemed to have turned down that idea. But, the deal fell through, and bin Laden was left free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mogadishu_(1993)#Links_with_Al-Qaeda

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/etc/cron.html

From a former Ambassador:

From his site: http://www.ambassadorjohnprice.com/osama-could-have-been-captured/

Pres. Clinton often becomes furious when asked about this.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

OK,

SUMARY:

Somalia was taken into Civil War by groups supported financially by bin Laden, and at that time, other high ranking Saudis, including bin Laden's very wealthy family. His family is still VERY connected, politically and financially.

The Rebels destroyed the infrastructure of their country, even against the advice of bin Laden. Because they destroyed the infrastructure, large scale fishing was taken over by outside fishermen, often Chinese and other asian fishing fleets.

Rebels used kidnapping in Somali, as they have throughout the world, to fund their civil war. Once westerners and rich political targets dried up within Somalia, the terrorists turned to outside sources of income.

By this time, wealthy backers had dried up. After 9-11 it became politically unpopular for rich Muslims to continue to back the Civil War in Somalia.

So, facing a decline in two sources of income to support their war, the terrorists became Pirates.

If you want to feel bad for al-Qaeda trained pirates, go ahead.

But, those American Warriors they killed were MY FRIENDS.

Thank you,

wayne

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Unless the bribes are paid by a 'friendly government,' and then it is the cost of doing government ....

:idea:

12. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The underlying problem in 90% of all pirated areas is RELIGION.

And no ONE wants to deal with that elephant in the room.

For whatever reason, Islamic piracy is accepted.

And the reason China has found a northern route acceptable for their trade is to cut down on the cost of Piracy.

Just as they continue to negotiate a Canal across Thailand to reduce their exposure to pirated waters .....

From Philippines to Somalia, and again around Mali, Kidnapping and piracy is the economic engine of choice for terrorists who destabilize their governments for political advantage and religious control of the people.

And they get RICH .... pirates and terrorists live in relative opulence while the people around them go hungry.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/01/04/somali_pirates_driving_up_kenyan_real_estate_prices

I always wonder why everyone else does not know what I already know?

Either they don't read the news I do, or they do not read my blog ....

But, if you boat, there are vast areas of the world where it is NOT SAFE TO SAIL ....

PERIOD.

Now, do you want safe waters?

Or, do you pity the terrorists who murdered my fellow soldiers?

We went there to bring peace and FOOD. And they gunned US down ....

Do I pity them? Or, their culture which considers this behavior of value?

I think we should be free to sail the waters of the Indian Ocean, and Indonesian waters, and Philippine waters. And of course the other 5% of pirated areas as well.

What do you think?

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

From el Guero:
    That is the most delusional and arrogant statement I ever read in this forum.
    Its insane this level of self importance.

1 person likes this.
  14. hoytedow

"Why can't we all just get along?"
    Rodney King

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It appears the posts in this thread are starting to case a good deal of offense. Therefore it's being closed at this point. The forum here isn't intended to be a place where people come to fight with each other. Please take jabs directed at other people or further fighting to some other site. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.