Solar Desalinator

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waveless, Aug 22, 2005.

1. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Rob them senseless waveless.
    I liked the insufflation a lot. Radiating into the vacuum!
    Who found condensation block attached to an air pump high-tech?
    Rob them senseless vaweless.

2. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Mr. Jonathan,

Your advice is good for the project, now I am redesigning the condenser and the evaporator. The condenser, I will use aluminium heating radiator, and put together with the lens heating part, it is light and saving space. the evaporator is also very import for high quality fresh water, I will design a small tower for that by mature technology.

For Solar Desalinator project, I am try to make a standard solar system for the boat, I am designing the new solar system in detail, I will calculate how much fresh water can produced per hour, how much it cost is, also I make it to generate electricity. These are very important for a boat. I know this project must work, there are only the more or less efficiency problems. I think my system will more efficiency then present solar electric system, their system only can use 12% solar energy and very expensive. If my system can reach 50%, it will be the great success. Because present solar electric system can only generate electricity, my solar system can generate efficiency and warm fresh water. I know that solar electric system have a long way to go to improve the efficiency, because their material only can absorb part of solar ray in spectrum. I can sure that the efficiency of my solar system will reach 50%, because the efficiency of the vacuum solar collecting glass tube is about 90%, and the efficiency (for whole day) of present heating system is 55%. It is possible that my solar system can reach 70-80% of efficiency, this is much more efficiency than solar electric system.

Jonathan, I am not a business men, I am a engineer, I only know how to make the project, this is why I need your help. I know a lot of people interest on this project, I hope you can do some organize work for this project; lets more people join us to make it out and get profit, and pay the risk. I am no mater how much I can earn; I only want to make it come true.

I would like do two project at same time, because I have another good project can earn easy money that I will tell you late. Do two project at same time can save a lot of money, because we only need a office, a work place and a car. Also if one project not earns money then another project may earn money. If we start the projects in china, it will be cheap.

Best regards

Yanchuan Wu

3. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

I suggest another course. Do good work. Make the world a better place. Every little bit helps!
    http://www.swc2005.org/info.htm

4. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Hi,

I find a problem, if the boats change the direction at all time, then It is very difficult to adjust the focus of sunlight.

Could you give me some idea?

I have calculated,
    20 square meter can generate electricity:

maximal: 10000wph
    minimal: 3000wph

fresh water:

200Kgph

5. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

The difficulty of focusing sunlight on a moving vessel is real. That is why the original idea you showed of using vacuum to lower the vaporization temperature makes more sense for a boat. You can use photovoltaics to power your vacuum pump. I think it only takes a small negative pressure to accelerate the vaporization.

6. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Ok,

A motor, a chip and 10 photoelectric diode can solve the problem. it is cheap.

7. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

It may not be so simple as you think. The concentrator will be hunting for focus every time a wave moves the boat. Unless it moves instantaneously, you lose a lot of heat. You can't have the reflector attached to the collector or else you also have to move the weight of the water. You could use a single fresnel lens but in order to get the high heat that you want you need a big one and it has mass considerations as well as windage. Take a look at:
    http://www.practicalsolar.com/products.htm
    A small heliostat system with lightweight reflectors could work, but needs quite a bit of engineering.
    http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/news/productstory?id=33773

But if you could manage to engineer a reliable small sun tracker, then you can put photovoltaics in place of the mirrors and get a 50% increase in power output.
    http://www.sunpowercorp.com/html/Products/Solar/solarcells.html

Attached Files:

8. waveless

waveless Junior Member

JonathanCole,

It is no problem, my lens only need adjust one dimention. I have regesigned the solar collector and condenser, the remain vapor is about 30-50 degree after doing work, it is esay to be condensate.

I will show you the new design late.

9. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

24.08.05. from waveless:
    "...I am not a exprienced mechanical design, but I have exprience for electric, computer and software."

from waveless:

"...I am a engineer..."

Not that I know anything, of course, but instead of messing around with "vacuum" to reduce temperatures, how about good old shade? Or simply get rid of a lense. Or both. That will keep water cool.

By the way, there are solar heating systems in Chile, dsigned for houses but no brainers to adapt to use on boats or land. Cheap as chips, as you would imagine. Anyone?

I wish not to limit anyone's freedom to keep inventing hot water though.

What is insufflation on these images and why is radiating in vacuum?

10. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Oh and this one is interesting:

"I have regesigned the solar collector and condenser, the remain vapor is about 30-50 degree after doing work, it is esay to be condensate."

Water used to turn into vapor at 60+. At 35-50 degrees it is just a warm water. No desalination on these temps with efficiencies claimed (50%). It would take more than a day to separate water from salt (for a certain amount of water. More you have, higher temperature is needed)

11. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

No condensation at 35-50 either. Vapor does not exist at these temps.

12. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

Waveless is not trying to design a water heater. As you point out, that has already been done. Waveless is trying to develop a solar desalinator device that can be used on a boat.

Vacuum is for reducing vaporization temperature, not for cooling water. This means using techniques for increasing vaporization of saltwater (heat, vacuum), while also increasing condensation of de-salted water (preheating incoming cold water by cooling condenser, or evaporative cooling). He also wants to use vapor pressure to generate electricity (through some kind of turbine?)

13. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

The temperature at which water evaporates is dependent on saturation of the atmosphere. At 25 degrees Centigrade (room temperature) it is possible to have 90% humidity (vapor saturation). Perhaps you are thinking of steam.

14. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Yes, the vapor that temperature less than 100 degree is called steam.

you can search by google that remain steam temperature of the steam turbine is about 25-45 degree.

dtQ=C*(T1-T2)

W=dtQ-dtU

W=C*(T1-T2)-dtU

W work,
    Q Heat,
    C Thermal capacity,
    T1 temperature before doing work,
    T2 temperature after doing work,
    U is the internal energy

It means the more work to be done the less temperature remain.

15. waveless

waveless Junior Member

The temperature of 1g water increase 1 degree, it need 1 calorie heat.

200kg water increasing temperature from 50 to 120 degree need 14000kcal.

Q = 200kg * 70 = 14000kcal.

The sunlight energy of a 20 square meter in the noon is about 20000Wph.

Because, 1kcal/m2·h = 1.16279 w/m2

Q(sunlight) = 20000 / 1.16279 = 17200 kcal

If the efficiency of my solar collector is 85%, then the solar collector can absorbs 14520 kcal heats. It is possible to heat the seawater from temperature 50 to 120 degrees.

The 14520kcal energy will transmit to evaporator generate vapor, and drive turbine working. The loss of energy in transmit ion and evaporate are about 10%, the energy loss in turbine is about 20%, the loss of electric generator is about 10. The total energy that is converted to electricity is about 14520 kcal*60% = 8712 kcal.

8712 kcal is equal to 10130Wph.

The data in calculation are reasonable, you can check the data by google. Because the energy to be reused in the system, there are no leaks of energy except heat transmission, sunlight reflect and a part of internal energy loss.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.