Small trimarans under 20'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Greg Thompson

Greg Thompson Junior Member

Good Day AH ! I just found this awesome forum, so take it easy on me ! ( rookie ) I am located on Vancouver Island, and just sail in the summer months... over the years I have had a 16' Invitation, two separate Hobie 16 and have had a Hobie Tiger for the last four years. I am not getting any younger, at 50 and change, the desire to rip around on the F18 is way to fun, BUT ! I am starting to think about something that has a cock-pit rather than rolling around on a tramp but still needing some speed. The production Tri's are costly. ( Pulse 600, Searail 19, Astus 18.2 etc. ) I am surprised or correct me if I am wrong but there should be a market for a centre haul for hobie 16 and 18. Just a small haul like the Diam 24, but a scaled down version.. I am thinking about building one, am I out to lunch to try and build something and use my F 18 for hauls, sails, mast.. I know it would be slower, but a person could add a kicker and fuller for the shoot.. Thank you for your advice in advance.
    greg

Doug Lord likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Greg, I think I know where you're coming from in your desire for speed with more comfort-that's the driving force behind my 15' tri design. I'm not sure you can accomplish the same thing with the center hull on a cat because you'll lose so much righting moment IF you plan on sitting on the side of the "new" cockpit. I want speed with extreme comfort and ease of handling so my 15.5' tri has an 18' beam which folds for trailering and plenty of sail area to allow foiling starting in a 5mph wind.
    Good luck finding the right boat!

High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-171

3. Greg Thompson

thank you for the information Doug. Your project looks great.
    I would still like to get out on the amas just like a pulse 600 or searail 19, but when the wind is light be able to sit legs down instead of on a flat tramp. Do you think I would lose a lot by adding a centre haul ( more weight but more floatation as well ) ?
    greg

4. Greg Thompson

I have been looking at the Strike 18, it seems to go at a good clip, I would like a hull smaller and lighter. I guess similar to a Diam 24 but 18' in length. I also have two sets of sails for my Tiger, a main being brand new. So it would be fun to widen the boat and add a haul .
    greg

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Richard Woods has several tri's which can use donor hulls for the outriggers (amas).
    Sailing Catamarans - First Choose a Design http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/27-trimarans-under-25

The old Tremolino design uses Hobie 16 hulls ( Hobie 18 hulls have been used, along with other beach cats) by Dick Newick. There also was a later redesign with purpose built amas.

Dick Newick - Trimaran, Catamaran, Proa - Multihull Designer, Sailing at Speed - Cheers, OSTAR, Moxie, Rogue Wave http://dicknewickboats.com/

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Thanks. There are a number of cats(including the AC boats) that use a sort of nacelle instead of a hull down the centerline. Could easily be used for your purpose and the only downside would be the extra weight. The center nacelle wouldn't touch the water but would allow a dry place to hang your feet. If you're still going to sit outboard in stronger wind it will be exactly like sitting on a cat tramp the further you go. On my design I'm going to use high dihedral crossarms with a sort of "Z" seat that allows two levels of seating with feet hanging down. There are some pictures of the concept model that illustrate this in my thread-I can't sit on a tramp(comfortably) anymore so I want actual seats--two on each side......
    There is a 20 something cat designed by Len Surtees that uses a centerline nacelle-can't find a picture right now but you should be able to google it...
    ------------
    Found a video of Lens boat that clearly shows the nacelle:

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Greg, here is a shot of the "Z" seat mock-up on the concept model that I'm building as I design the boat........
    The idea is for two levels of very comfortable seating when different amounts of righting moment are required. The upper level will have a folding, sliding lightweight seat back attached outboard on the crossarms.

WOLF seat-tramp   4-17-17 001.JPG

8. Greg Thompson

[​IMG]
    This is more what I was referring to, a centre haul. Maybe 2' wide. As well adding 4' to the width of the hobie. Making the total width 12'. I know it would be slower in light wind, but would the extra floatation make up for the extra weight in higher wind ?

9. Greg Thompson

Doug I now understand what you are going after with your concept model. great idea, I like it !
    greg

10. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Thank you to those who suggested my designs. You might find the Strike 20 of interest.

and here Sailing Catamarans - Strike 20 racing trimaran using a F18 beach cat for hulls and rig http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/27-trimarans-under-25/433-strike-20

Or if you think that is too big you might be interested in my Strike 15. For sale on a good trailer on Saturna Island, can deliver! (although right now I am land cruising in the Rockies, back on Saturna next week) CAN2750

Richard Woods of Woods Designs
    www.sailingcatamarans.com

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Greg Thompson

Thank you for the information. Funny Richard, I was watching the Strike 15 on Craigslist. looks like a great price. What rig are you using ?
    I hope all the forest fires chock you out in the Rockies.
    Greg

13. Greg Thompson

Revised version ! I hope all the forest fires DON'T chock you out..

greg

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I am back on Saturna now, fortunately we missed the fires although did see a couple at a distance

Can you please email me at woodsdesigns@gmail.com to discuss the Strike 15 further, thank you

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

15. Cholsson

Cholsson Junior Member

I put together a small film from a sailing race from saturday with my smalll 10ft trimaran in Sweden.
    I was not allowed to use my gennaker in this race. The wind droped and I got som trouble with the local boats :)
    Tried to add some overview map of the track with the data from my GPS and camera.

thanks, Chris

Manfred.pech and Doug Lord like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.