It was in the 60s and sunny yesterday. Loaded up and went Wrightsville Beach - Banks channel
Forecast was 8 kts wind, so I took the larger sail.
Wind was 12 to 15 kts straight up the channel
It quickly turned into one of those crash and burn days
I lost it on the first run away from shore. Before I ever got up to any real speed the sail went from near no load to hooked up from a gust.
The lee ama went way under quick. I steered up for no effect (the drag from the submerged ama probably turned me more down instead) where I should have uncleated the main sheet fast
I have had this boat on its side more than a few times. The only other time out with the big sail I had done about the same thing. However, that time I was in the pond with no current, no chop and warmer water.
I went over the high side

and quickly got it up back upright and climbed back in without getting my chest wet.
I was happy at being back upright and dry until I sized up my situation
Normally I would have got the boat upright, stayed off to the side and bailed the cockpit to around 50% before climbing back in. The boat forward section is sealed (kind of) and I have foam and other flotation stuffed in the rear section. With me not in the boat, the boat has about 4" of freeboard just after being begin pulled back upright.
With me in the boat, the front was just above surface, the rear was just under. There was no way to bail out back to normal without jumping into the water. I should have, but I was worried that the water was too cold (lows have been mostly in the 30s - 40s in the previous week). I was also worried about the big sail, the strong wind, the nasty chop and the current.
I could not really turn back but was able to start making slow headway to the beach area just across the channel.
About 3/4 of the way across, a motor boat offered me a tow. He threw a life ring on a rope in front and to the side of me and then start to circle around me to drag the ring to where I could get it.
The ring snagged the front of the boat while he circled behind me. He just kept going with out watching or listening (I was yelling) and drug the boat backward until the bow went straight down and the boat was floating with the mast and cross beam sitting on the surface. It then went over to one side while he continued to circle. Not good for my wimpy little boat
I got him to stop. I untangled the life ring from the rigging. I swam with the ring around to where I could hold the ring with one hand and hold the boat with the other. I directed him to carefully circle the correct direction and slowly head over to the beach. Yes I was getting chilled and it took a lot of determination to hold on.
We went about 50 yards with the boat on its side and the mast / sail to the rear. When we got closer, the submerged cross beam hit sandy bottom and the boat went upright. Just a little further and I could stand. I drug the boat up to the beach.
Quite a bit of damage - one hull split up front (luckily near the top) one ama float torn completely loose and the other ama float was dangling.
Another power boater (who also sails) saw the whole thing and had come up just after the damage had been done. He was kind enough to gather the loose items floating around. As such, I only lost a bailing scoop
At the beach, I used a small bucket the second boater had loaned me to bail most of the water out of the cockpit and then I removed my rudder. I prepared to lift the boat up on its side. It will sit on its side with one beam end, the rear of the boat and the tip of the mast on the ground. This is how I attach the sail to the mast during boat assembly.
This time, I would say it had more than 10 gallons of water in the normally sealed forward 1/3 and at least 5 gallons in the rest of the boat as I lifted it. It only took two tries. Water gushed out of the split up front. I took down the sail (I left the mast up). After the front had mostly drained, I put it back upright and finished bailing the cockpit. I put all of my loose stuff on top of the boat, and headed back. At first I went a little way under paddle power. After confirming I had control, the second boater did a great job of tossing me a rope and giving me a tow across the channel. I had to paddle the last little way down and between the docks to my launch site.
Repairs will not be hard. I will probably do some upgrading of a few items (including adding more permanent flotation, especially in the "kind of sealed" section up front) while I am at it.
I really did not like the boat handling with the bigger sail. The ama floats are just not big enough and the extra weight also hurts. I might have been above to make it work in that wind on the pond, but with the chop in the channel (plus the cold water and current making recovery a challenge), I am not sure I had much chance.
I thought I would be able to ease on the power after I got some speed. However I greatly underestimated what an unstable pig it would be while trying to accelerate from 2 kts to 6 kts. The speed of how the planing ama just stalled out got pushed down that far really took me by surprise.