Small sailboat Design - advice requested

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ancient kayaker, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

dskira: it would be a real challenge to put a head in my 10' sailboat! But then my wife is not expecting to cruise on it, just a short trip around the lake is all she'll settle for.

Come to think of it, it seems a lot of work just for that! At least I will be able to use this boat to practice the gentle art of sailing. And one should never forget the words of W. Pirrie, Titanic Designer, "Your next boat will be bigger than your last."

2. ancient kayaker

Here are more pictures of the Dace build, which is proceeding slowly but surely. So far I have removed the temporary mold and keelson spine, so she is now self-supporting.

In the first pic the outwales have been attached, I use cheap clamps made of cut-up plastic plumbing pipe as I don't have enough regular clamps.

The trunk has been built, painted inside and in the second pic it has been glued to the bulkhead and keelson.

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Looks good,Terry-best of luck!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It looks like you may be short a few clamps. More pictures please . . .

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Looking good, Terry. Definitely post more pictures.

1 person likes this.
  6. ancient kayaker

Clamps, the ultimate limitation to the size boat I can build. OK Paul, I admit it!

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Definitely Woefully under-clamped. :D

8. ancient kayaker

I found some more clamps and a buddy who will lend me some: next time!

9. ancient kayaker

Progress continues to be slower than I would prefer but I am hoping to get the little lady into the water before winter! Some photos attached.

I finally figured out how to clamp a batten with a triangular cross section; wish I had known this sooner, could have saved a pound or two on the chine logs.

I used temporary wood blocks fastened with carpet tape to keep the buoyancy tank sides straight during gluing.

The movable mast step can be clamped on the keel, so I can experiment with different sailing rigs and mast rake angles.

The build so far: she needs hatch covers, foredeck and transom cap, rudder post and oarlock mounts and she will be ready to finish. Of course, a mast would be handy but I have the oars so at least she will be able to get wet and get back to shore!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

A great little boat.
    Whats the other boat we see behind?

11. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Ancient kayaker..your boat is coming along...keep enjoying the process..it seems to have gotten you a long way so far...keep posting pics sir...

Raggi Thor!...That Cape henry 21 on your website looks like a great boat design..I really like the skeg and the keel winch design looks ergonomic and just looks like it has a nice"feel"...not "clunky". I own an old 1983 Hunter 20 so I know "clunky"..well...

12. ancient kayaker

There's a wall of small boats behind the sailboat. The green canoe at the bottom with wood trim is the 3.6m lake canoe Dora, see post #94 in http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/projects-proposals/challenge-100-boat-12176-7.html and there is an unfinished 3.2m river canoe (another $100 challenge entrant, when finished) that needs decks and paint, as well as a plastic kayak that I don't use now I have wood boats. I am running out of boatbuilding space! I am also getting buried under things I want to do and ideas I want to try, including http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/articulated-sailboat-24598.html

I did a 30 cm section of hollow wooden mast this afternoon as an experiment, it came out really well so I can go ahead on the full-sized version. I think I will have a 2-piece mast, so the sections fit inside the boat for rowing. I'm completing the detail design as I go along, but the underwater shape is based on one of Par's design. I like the way she is shaping up and think she will look very nice in the water. Her name is Dace (small Euro/UK fish).

13. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Terry, you do a lot :)

Cape Henry, that is a Dudley Dix design. I thought I could sell some kits here in Norway, but it seems like most people here prefer to buy boats or build from scratch after they cut the trees themselves...

14. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Maybe my page can help you. But is in swedish. so you have to access via google translate. To have it in your own lang.
    I will also start build my own projekt at friday.
    And see where it ends.
    http://janne.mammamita.se/?page_id=260
    Take a look at this one if it fits you.

1 person likes this.

15. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Sorry i saw that I should read the whole thread before i post.
    Ur building projekt looks really really god.
    Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.