Small, independant living units, on water ? - Possible ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

I think he's talking about the right to live on a boat wherever you like, which your post above points out is a right that has pretty much disappeared these days... :p

2. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

But we're sooooooo safe with all these rules, right?

(and that's about as political as I want to get on this forum just now. But I hear you. For example: my take on the Kelo v New London ruling is that the view that a government should be able to, er, "arrange" private property ownership, who owns the land, taking it from one to give to another, just so it will get more in taxes on the use of that land, that stance is only rational if you believe that it is the basic function of Citizens to fund their government.)

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

It might be an idea to move your boat to where your work is but, I'm not sure what type of job you would get with your residence described as "no fixed address."

Poida

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Doesn't matter if you work for yourself. I have no fixed address.... I own 3 properties in 2 different States as well as an unfinished boat, I move about as and when I please. All my mail goes to a PO box which I check every 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes 2 or 3 months....

PDW

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

So,
    just as another perspective, a few times I've gone "cruising" on P & O/Royal Carribean lines, onboard are some that cruise almost continuously, sometimes cheaper for them than staying home, I think there may have been some vessels that have "shares" somewhat like buying a unit but possibly cheaper than any 1st world waterfront living in that all services & catering are supplied?
    Jeff.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Exactly. Thats why he needed to be able to move to places that have a job near them.

Big ocean crossing boats need income coming in, or an existing fortune.

That applies doubly if you have to moor at approved locations, and pay the rentals.

The dream of cheap living is looking more like a dream every day.

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

A Cruise ship co-op or strata body ?
    That would take care of the effluent stream ?

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Like http://aboardtheworld.com/reside/gallery/57

got a spare 1.2 million ?

I guess thats a bargain for some people - retired tax evaders and drug smugglers :(

9. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Like any settlement there is a bottom and top tier.

10. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

You're not much of a fisherman, but keep trying.

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I'm sure they take a dump well offshore in accordance with MARPOL guidelines & have onboard systems that are apparently in excess of requirements.
    Back in the days I lived aboard pump out was legal, & if I used the boatshed facilities it came out about 5 miles along the coast to blow onto surf beaches in the North East breeze. As has been indicated, coli-form counts in our estuaries skyrocket after heavy rains from dog faeces & land bases sewer overload, A "few" yachties make little difference if they hold it & pump out whilst going for a sail down the coast........... very unkind to unload that waste in proximity to swimming areas though.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2040277/test-confirms-raw-sewage-in-wollongong-harbour/

http://www.uow.edu.au/~sharonb/sewage/elephants.html

Not hard to reach a perspective on............. at least around here.

Jeff.

12. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

pdwiley, Sorry, I see you are Australian, so you have no rights to lose.

God save the Queen!

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

If you are going to troll and such I suggest you go elsewhere....

14. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Hell, when did God get into the act? I'm trying to save a complete set so I can sell them on eBay and buy some new wenches. I don't want God running up the price.....

PDW

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Definitely a dig at PDW's inquiry :)

BUT

Rights
    -would have a big effect on the practicality of cheap water based living.
    for example - with the 'right to bear arms' in the US, upset neighbors would be a much bigger problem.

and also -
    Entitlements
    -for example, here in Australia, with 'perpetual income support', you need to have a permanent address. A marina pen is considered permanent enough, but having ad-hoc temporary locations would get you disqualified.

also - most of the foreshore of rivers in my part of the world is Crown Land - and the only private control is those who still hold leases on specific sections. Coastal foreshores are almost 100% crown land.

Crown lands are poorly 'policed' , so short term stays as 'campers' would not be a problem. Also, many places have free BBQ and toilet facilities including showers to cater for tourists.

The other option is National Parks. With a 2 year $123 fee, that's pretty good value. I suppose a trailerable yacht could make a great home on many of the fresh inland lakes - especially during the fishing season.

'Spiral Island' ( details below )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island

in Mexico is totally built of discarded items - and he does tours !

A great case for building a really unique small waterbased home - you can charge for tours.

It would never be allowed in a huge number of countries.

So, local 'conditions' would make a huge difference to the viability of the concept.

Sounds a great environment

"The new island was initially 20 metres (66 ft) in diameter, which has since expanded to 25 metres (82 ft), and plants and mangroves are already growing on it. It contains about 100,000 bottles. The new island has three beaches, a house, two ponds, a solar-powered waterfall and river, a wave-powered washing machine and solar panels. Volunteers helped with the project. Sowa will continue to make improvements to the Island, so it will always be a work of art in progress."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.