Small Fast Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rossiroller, Sep 3, 2008.

1. FiberglassChica

FiberglassChica Fiberglass Chicago, Inc.

take a look at my 3 point hydro 2 seater!

I have a boat you might be interested in! It is a 3 point hydro hull, and i can do the top in a 1 or 2 seater O/B!
    I want $800.00 for the 2 pcs.
    You must assemble and build the boat i will install the floor and foam for the coast regulations. These are new pieces at a great deal.
    Give me an email to send you pics.
    Fiberglasschicago@yahoo.com

2. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

C'mon fellas! There are lots of "fast" powerboats around, and such a boat can be designed to be safe at the desired speeds. The Svensons or Glen-L plans are pretty good and proven, although somewhat dated. There is lots of information available for more current day designs for fast vee hulls, pad vees, tunnel hulls or 3-point hydros.

3. dsuursoo

dsuursoo Senior Member

i'm going to second what some have said, and reccomend a v-hull. a skimming hydroplane isn't the best thing to rip along at 50+ knots in unless you have a VERY flat surface to ride on.

so a multichine or V-bottom would likely be best. add some strakes and maybe a stepped hull just forward of the transom. it's what was done on the coast guard's OTH pursuit boat, and lemme tell you, that puppy is FAST when it gets up to top end, and planes at less than 10 knots. the total wet contact patch at the back is maybe oh... less than eight square feet i think.

but turning tends to result in slides at that speed mostly because of inertia, combined with the tiny wetted surface.

so you could go the other route, and use a deeper-riding hull and get some real turning ability. safe-boats international incorporates a set of fins on the outside of the hulls that create a channel running much of the length of the boat. those channels create an ungodly amount of resistance to sliding when you launch into a turn, so when you're trimmed fully down, you can do a full-speed 180 inside of one boat length.

again, hang on when you do that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.