Kitty249

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by meren, Mar 23, 2012.

1. meren

meren Junior Member

Hi,
    Here are my "open source" plans for DIY catamaran tender 8 ft (2,49 m) I'm building at the moment. I'll fix the drawing after all dimension and details are "verificated"... And the model tested for stability and manouvering...

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Thank you for the post. I am sure this vessel will allow you to develop next interation of your ships. I wonder now it will look completed.
    My respect. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards.

3. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Hope you post more pictures as it continues to take shape. I will watch for launch photos :)

4. meren

meren Junior Member

Some tricky laminates rolled in rear and forward compartments. Have to say that epoxy is a one of the punkiest hair waxes for sure. :p Stringers and frames carved and glued in place as well.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. meren

meren Junior Member

Some progress... Today I finally got it turned around. Didn't broke my back so not too heavy yet. Target @ 50 kg (110 lbs).

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. meren

meren Junior Member

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

8. meren

meren Junior Member

There you are. Drawings in .jpg.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Please comment on the advantage of a tiny boat with a tunnel down the middle.

Seems to me that extra material, extra work, increased weight, decreased interior foot space, diminished total bouyancy, is counerproductive.

I must be missing something here..... ???

10. meren

meren Junior Member

You are right! This so called "design" is the most counterproductive as can be and I made it just for fun that way :D.

But there should be though a better transversial stability than in monohull having same dimensions and also there should be abilities to plane without considerable dynamic instabilities with speeds over 14 knots. Designed to carry 2 persons (maybe even 3). Let's see about that later...

11. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Meren; I do not mean to be critical of your judgement about the little boat. You have done a very nice job with your build and the music on your video is grandiose. (Beethovens fifth?)

Here in Florida some of the flats boats have tunnel hulls. They are usually in the 18 to 20 foot range and carry 150 HP or more. The stated advantage of the tunnel is that they can use power in very shallow water where the favored local fish reside.

In favor of the tunnel on any small boat there are structural advantages and you can also use the tunnel top for seating. Your boat does not appear to need any structural help from the tunnel what with all the frames stringers and runners. Hell for strong, it looks like it could pretty near survive the Battle Of Trafalgar.

Keep in touch

12. meren

meren Junior Member

Thanks Messabout! Tomorrow this shall be in its element so we have no more reason to make any suggestions about what imperfections and faults this could possibly have, and all the boats in the univerese does have at least one... If I'm still alive day after tomorrow I will report over "behaviour" of this piece of "hundreds of hours of pain, swet and heavy swearing" :D

13. meren

meren Junior Member

Attached Files:

14. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

15. meren

meren Junior Member

It runs quite much as I calculated according to Savitsky. I (85 kg) have to sit approximately 0,8 m from stern when running 1/2 throttle to get it plane, it is though possible to sit on rear seat when running full throttle. I have not yet tried to run it fully loaded (2 persons) because I don't want to kill this new outboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.