TEOTWAWKI Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoytedow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hopefully we won't be carrying any parasites, but you never know. :)

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That's good.

I just wanted to make sure you had at least 50%.

3. hoytedow

The bows are also decked over.

4. hoytedow

Boats loses approximately 1 inch of free-board for every 155 lbs. of additional weight.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Leo may be alluding to the ark of Noah. It is kinda' boxy. You have not listed the measurements in cubits though.

Kidding aside for a moment. Why will you transport it in 5 pieces. Are you going to carry it around in a van or pickup truck?

With a weight of 700 lbs. (sorry about the miserable imperial measure Leo) and a bottom width of two times 15 inches, a waterline length of ...maybe 100 inches, you are going to have more than average skin loading when at rest. And a bunch of bottom load when it is planing, So reinforce the 6mm thick afterplanes pretty well.

With a 9.9 which is a 15 in sheeps clothing, that thing is going to be scary fast. Scary fast is a relative term. On a nine and one half foot boat, 25 MPH is plenty thrilling.

6. hoytedow

There will be reinforcements in the floor to stop it from tin-canning. There will also be reinforcements along the leading and trailing chines inside to protect it when it bumps things.

1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters so it can be figured out but not by me.

7. hoytedow

It will ride in truck bed when we go camping.
    Bottom width/breadth will be 44 inches.
    I would be happy with 15 mph and the engine not working too hard to achieve that. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  8. hoytedow

What would you recommend as the optimal size horsepower for this design and why?

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A two stroke 9.9 weighs about 75 pounds while a 4 stroker weighs about 100. Either of those will be happy at part throttle while I suspect that a lighter 6 or 8 would have to work pretty hard to make 700 pounds go well. You will have only 30 inches of bottom breadth and that will need more oomph than a wider bottom might require.

The following comments are to be construed only as friendly converstion.

OK so the transport device is a pickup. Because of that you are limiting LOA. Even with an eight foot bed the hulls will hang out beyond the tailgate. Five pieces of boat to assemble and dis -assemble will surely turn in to a major time waster. The catamaran will have you sitting on top rather than within the boat. That'll mean more windage either in motion or at rest. It will also mean that the metacenter will be higher than ideal. You will probably need a motor larger than you'd like to buy or lift. A short LWL boat like this is likely to hobby horse disconcertingly.

Consider building a simple flattie skiff that will fit between the wheel wells of the truck. Make the boat in two parts. Now the boat can easily be 14 feet or more, still fit inside the closed tail gate, be quick and easy to assemble at the fishin' hole, and require less power to make it plane. Chances are real good that it will be lighter than all those cat parts. And it just might be a safer boat. Bonus feature: If the fore and aft sections are less than 8 feet long you can stand the pieces on end in the garage ( or in your living room if you really like the boat).

10. hoytedow

Thanks, messabout for the constructive information. Total bottom width will be 44 inches, not 30. Front of camper housing is 10 feet from front of truck bed so hull is limited to 9.5 feet fo avoid that issue. flat part of bottom is 44 inches by 96 inches. I agree the 9.9 hp would be the minimum to push at comfortable cruising speed without straining the engine.

I am also thinking about increasing wall height from 15 to 20 inches to increase free-board. Seating will be in hull or on hull. Cut down lawn chairs will lower meta-center.

Second boat this type. Assembly is fast and easy with bolts, fender washers and wing nuts, 8 bolts total. Further details to come later.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Teotwawki

Good luck, Hoyt-have fun!

12. hoytedow

Thanks, Doug. Maybe we'll foil it later! :D

13. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

my 114" catdink-

can deepwater recover over bow.
    can handle 60# anchor on 100' of 3/8 chain (just barely)
    will plane 1 and junk on 3hp
    will plane two and junk on 4hp
    84# painted. 2 sheets 4mm + 1 sheet 6mm and 6oz glass, some foam and scraps. Bottom offset 18" to rear of sides and bows foamed and sculpted and glassed. Fits in std p/u between wheel wells.

Attached Files:

14. hoytedow

Hey, Phil, that's pretty nice. I started with a design similar to yours but decided I wanted it wider for more stability. You will see a this one piece version from my gallery not with wave cutting bows.
    [​IMG]

15. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I misread your specs. I had the hulls at 15" wide and 22 high. My bad. WIth 44 inches of bottom you might get away with a smaller engine.

I had a derelict Flying Dutchman shell at one time. I clamped a 2.2 Tohatsu on the thing and it would actually plane, not fast but clearly in sliding mode. All up weight was only about 300 pounds though. Robb White used to sell a planset for a 42 inch wide stripper. He claimed that it would plane two people with a 4HP engine. Phils boat is another case where the boat gets along with small power.

Hurry and build that thing, we wanna see pix and get a report on how well it works.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.