Small Boatworks Dory Hull #101

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mizzun, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mizzun

mizzun New Member

I just found this site and am hopeful someone here can steer me in the right direction. A relative of mine recently showed me an old boat and I really think it is wonderful. They don't know anything about it, nor do I, but I want to help them track down info.
    I should have photographed it and measured it but did not take the time as we had a long drive ahead of us.
    It is a small dark wood dory. There is a brass plaque that reads: SMALL BOAT WORKS HULL #101, S. DORY.
    It has been stored for an unknown length of time in a cabin near a pond. The house on the property dates to the mid 1800's. The boat is in excellent condition and has clearly been kept out of weather and sun. It no longer has oars with it however.
    Anyone out there familiar with this plaque info?
    Anyone know where to get the right oars to go with it?
    I suspect it is from the first 1/2 of the 20th century, as many of the other items on the property date from that period, but am just guessing.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    j

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

It could also be from the 1970's, particularly soon after WoodenBoat magazine started. A variation of the back to nature movement was to declare yourself to be a wooden boatbuilder and start building a small boat. Most completed one or two boats and then moved on to other things. "Small Boat Works" sounds more like a 1970's name for a boatshop then an early 20th century one. And hull #101 could easily be the first one built. 101 rather than 1 sounds like the shop has more experience.

Are you from California, Canada or ???

3. mizzun

mizzun New Member

Very interesting idea. Perhaps it is more modern than I thought, but it really seems old to me in spite of being in great shape. The wood is a dark one or at least the stain is dark and the walls are very thin. It is very well made, so if it was the first boat of a company it was a skilled beginner!
    Anyway thanks for the feedback.
    I am in Michigan now 200 miles from the boat but will soon be back in California.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.