Catamarans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Albert Jr., Sep 7, 2013.

1. Albert Jr.

Albert Jr. Previous Member

Hi guys, I've noticed that Cats have been getting popular and I know that they
    tend to ride faster than normal v-hull boats.

My questions are..
    What in the design really makes them run faster ?
    How much of the sponson shape is really needed to give the hull the cat effect ?
    (Not sure if I'm asking ^^ correctly)
    Does anyone know of any kits for making a catamaran in the 11 to 17 ft length ?

The basic question really is if anyone can teach me about catamarans and there
    designs... pros, cons etc.

Thanks in advance for the help and tight lines.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

They aren't faster for given hp, but tend to get driven faster because the ride is generally softer. I had cats and only had to back off very rarely, almost never. But they were heavy boats with substantial hp, as a rule lightweight cats are not successful, unless you want to scare the passengers.

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Read the various threads on this site. There are hundreds of hours worth that should be of some help.
    It will be very useful to you to learn how to use the search facility so you can look for your own answers for a start.

4. Albert Jr.

Alright, thanks guys.
    I'll start searching.

5. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

6. Albert Jr.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

For a number of reasons, 5 metres is about the minimum practicable length for a planing cat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.