Skiff Design Thread

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TimClark, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Doug, I don't think the era of "skiffs" is over. My dad was telling me that he heard the same thing about normal displacement hulls when high performance skiffs started getting big.

Tim

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

"Skiff"era

Tim, you may be right in the sense that the era of enjoying sailing these classic boats will never be over. But the era of the "skiff" as the fastest monohull seems to be under a lot of pressure from the little foiler. Of course, some people call the foiler Moth a skiff.....

3. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

"In fact, if you can believe CT249 traditional skiff classes are so concerned about hydrofoils that they have banned them."

Doug, it's not very good manners to make snide remarks about a person's honesty.

Particularly when what I was saying was something anyone could have checked out themselves. All you had to do was look instead of making insinuations.

For 12 Foot Skiff class rules banning hydrofoils, see rule J in the class rules PDF.

For 18 Foot Skiff class rules banning hydrofoils, see Rule 13 in

http://www.18footer.org/Facts/RulesandDefinitions/Rules/tabid/177/Default.aspx

There you go - pure facts. And no need to slander anyone.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

No slander

CT, my apologies for the result of your interpretation of my comments-it was not intended that way. My comments were directed to the Baron who didn't seem to think much of your comments on the SA thread-hence-"If you(the Baron) can believe CT".
    -----------------
    Says a lot about the "skiff" classes I used to think were the most technologically advanced that they would ban the most significant new technology to hit sailing in the last 100 years--not hydrofoils but the bi-foil hydrofoil system-faster than most skiffs now and probably soon to be undeniably the fastest technology on sailboats under 20'.(multi or mono)

5. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Ok, thanks for that.

6. Baronvonrort

Baronvonrort Junior Member

Doug
    The photo of the 18 ft skiff i posted is on foils and not seahugging.

The International 14 you posted,on foils was crewed by David Cleworth,a top 12 ft skiff crew and i have sailed with him.

I know both the skipper of the 18 and Clewy so i have seen boats other than a moth on foils.

The foiling moth did not go as fast as some claim it can in the Brass Monkey regatta

The one thing all the foilers keep saying,including yourself is that there are problems to be overcome.

We only have 22 million people in Australia and seem are able to get different types of boats up on foils,How many people live in Florida Doug?

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Florida-the Foiler State

Baron, I'm always glad to try to help someone who is immersed in classic technology and who wants to learn about the newest technology: 16 million.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.