single handing 100 foot multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Oct 31, 2010.

1. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Any thoughts that beam, alone, makes for a fast trimaran is also utter nonsense.

Here are some numbers to digest, especially when you compare the spec numbers to the boat speeds achieved in the same wind.

IDEC LOA 97' BOA 54

SODEB'O LOA 105' BOA 54'

GROUPAMA 3 LOA 102' BOA 74'

Perhaps the only time when all three boats were in the same wind was right at the start of the event. At the start of the race, Coville quickly pulled away from the other boats in the Ultimate Class in a drag race as they sailed away from St. Malo. I suppose that some folks have a good way to ignore that reality, but it sits there unrefuted.

While there is a decent argument that a wider boat can carry more sail (if it can still be handled effectively with good manners) but it is equally true that a boat with less beam can get its main hull in the air a lot sooner. This instantly minimizes wetted surface drag and represents a real advantage. We saw that advantage right at the start of the race.

At no other time in the event did the boats come close enough to one another to draw any kinds of conclusions as to which boat is fastest. They just did not operate in the same wind conditions.

If there was an advantage this year in the RdR it came in the form of routing choices, pure and simple. That process is still as much about guessing as it is about science, so this time, the crap shoot game has gone to Cammas, who made the most of his good fortune and did a masterful job of playing the potential as presented. Even the slightest difference in conditions over an entire ocean of 3,500 miles, however, and it could have been a completely different result. If one has sailed very much offshore, one already know this.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=============
    No one here said this absurdity. The fact is that Groupama won big time-and there are a lot of factors involved in that not the least of which was her skipper, her weather routers,her beam(and a corresponding very high RM), her "bicycle" sail handling device, her extraordinary designers and engineers, her foils (designed by Martin Fischer)
    and more. With more RM than any other tri in the race she had more power to bring to bear -without a doubt.

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

After the start at St. Malo three tri giants showed out: Sodebo, Oman and Groupama - the first two Irens near sisters, Sodebo with foils but Oman without (and Oman later broke her beam) so what do you say about foil boats causing breakages when Oman had no foils? G3 was the widest, carried foils ... but the narrower boat, Sodebo, along with Oman, was the fastest when they were close together ... so with all this gibberish, the jury must still be out about which configuration is the superior one. G3 won because of brilliant course routing, not to mention brilliant sailing from Cammas.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Groupama 3

I kind of feel sorry for Franck Cammas having to sail such a slow boat-afterall he only led for what-3000 miles? Poor ******* must have had to work his tail off pedaling that bike. All kidding aside, from what I understand Groupama is faster in strong wind-Sodebo in lighter air. Which makes sense since they have about the same sq.ft. of SA per ton and Groupama is 50% heavier. The weight and beam would allow her to carry max SA longer than Sodebo could in stronger winds.

5. cardsinplay

Doug, if you are going to use another person's name in order to supposedly raise your importance, then, at least, get it correct.

The man's name is Martin Fischer

http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/2010/09/martin-fischer-on-next-cat-ac-wildcat.html

So, put on the dunce cap now and go sit in the corner.

Late edit:
    So, I see that you have made the correction without one apology to Fischer, Doug. Good form.

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Speaking of broken beams, have they recovered Oman Air? Where were the different boats built ? It would be interesting to see a build price comparison, Francis Joyon would certainly be a front runner in the performance for cost arena.

7. monocat

monocat Junior Member

You could use your own name, Chris?

1 person likes this.
  8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Funny,Mono-wish I had thought of it!

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

============
    Cav, apparently Majan (Oman Air) was built in Australia by Boatspeed and the parts assembed in the mideast. Gary should know the rest of the story......
    http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/boatspeed-build-record-breaking-trimaran

--Boatspeed in Au also built Sodebo.....

--For Groupama 3:
    Construction yards
    Multiplast, for the platform, daggerboard and rudder on the central hull
    Lorima, for the mast
    AMCO, for the rudders and floats
    Profil Composites, for the foils

--For Idec-Marsaudon Composites
    http://www.marsaudon-composites.com/

More: http://www.nigelirens.com/nid_RACING2.htm

10. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Thanks Doug, these boats are becoming more of a global effort all the time.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Those that know of chris ostlind know that I was one of his favorite targets, among others. With some help recently I was able to positively identify "cardsinplay" as none other than chris ostlind. This very sick(ill) individual sent me this PM today:

" A clear beat down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Douglas... Have you looked, recently, at the difference in view numbers between the Single Handing 100' Multi's thread and the Route du Rhum Underway thread?

Here's a brief synopsis:

Single handing 1638

Route du Rhum 2295

These numbers are pretty powerful, wouldn't you say? And the thread, Route du Rhum, was started one day later than the other one to which you hitched your star.

You've been summarily beaten and beaten badly. How does it feel?

Cardsinplay

12. cardsinplay

If this is a real message, it looks like you think that private communications are not off limits.

Is that how you see it, Doug?

If it is a real message, then it looks like you are a rank whiner of the worst kind.

Which is it?

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Doug and Chris.
    Just knock it off guys.
    We are all supposed to be adults here. :eek:

14. cardsinplay

You should ask Doug as to why he felt it necessary to print a private piece of communication. I'm sure that he has a really solid answer.

Read it again, you'll see that there is no implied threat, no foul language, no nothing other than a gentle ribbing on one of Doug's tender spots. I'm sure that all of you have ribbed those you have known for a long time. I'm also sure that you don't expect them to go out on the town and whine about it.

I'm saddened to discover that Doug can't take a joke.

15. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

I neither know nor care who cardsinplay is, but if she sends anonymous emails, there is no reason for her to expect them to be kept confidential. It is bad enough people being too embarrassed to use their proper name, without allowing them to send crap like this and not have it exposed.

I assume female as this is such a little girl/bitchy way to behave.

rob

2 people like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.