Should I angle the windows in or out?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Houseboat Man, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Houseboat Man

Houseboat Man Junior Member

Here is the current revision, bunks either side aft, plus porta potty under v berth ( v berth is for the littlies ) The cabin top would be a little bit lower than the drawing but I don't have the drawing skills with Idraw.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think this is a good example of nature's way of weeding out the gene pool . . .

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It might take a lot of weight but fisherman keep all the weight down low in fishboxes and such. The higher you have the weight the more the boat will wallow and roll making everyone sick.You can have a low down forward cabin with a windshield, a roof, beds, toilet, that will lock, but the rest should be canvas , vinyl windows etc. you can even make accessories that will enclose the whole back of the boat for overnight camping etc.

4. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Yer scairin' the hell outta me. Design a modular canvas covering system.
    1) windshield and partial top
    2) top extension
    3) side and back covers
    Or
    4) tow a barge

Keep us posted.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Look mate - you have got the classic "my boat is too small for everyone" syndrome.

There are some good ideas in the previous posts.

You need to either remove 'everyone' and just incorporate 'some', or you get a hull to match your planned topsides.

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Quite an impressive 'creature'.
    Wave motion+ topside weight+wind heel moment + passenger heel moment = capsize. However, if the cabin is structurally sound and watertight it will give some topside buoyancy so your boat might just rest on it's beam ends. Just make sure you put non-skid on the cabin sides and windows so the occupants are at less risk.

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

In the short term, drowning can be preferable to sea sickness.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.