Short circuit

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by mikep, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mikep

mikep New Member

When the problem occurs I turn the ignition switch on to start the motor and the volt meter goes negative and the motor does nothing. To fix it I disconnect the battery and connect it back the motor starts. This happens without moving the motor and touching nothing else. It is like hitting a reset button. When the short occurs nothing works tilt are starter.

2. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

"Short Circuit"

Mikep, I think you are seeing an "Open Circuit"! The circuit to the battery is "open" and the voltmeter reads Zero...

This sounds exactly like what happens in a car when there is a bad or corroded battery terminal / connection. Remove and check both battery terminals; make sure they (and the battery terminal surfaces) are clean and bright (scrape with a knife...) and put a thin coat of silicone grease or vaseline, or multipurpose grease over the connector surfaces and reassemble it. Get it tight! Also check the cable connections at the motor end; they can be loose or corroded.

Let us know what works!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.