Shipping News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bntii, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

The fridge is still not a go- the Danfoss compressor runs but the temps do not go down past 45 f, compressor running full tilt and gets hot. It's instructive to be on the other end & needing some guy to come out and fix something on my boat. Now I know how my clients feel...lol

On another front I got the stainless all set up for the Bimini project. I took off the patterns for the canvas yesterday. Any bets as to if a rank amateur can pull off getting the thing sewn up & all ship shape on the first go? I was up half the night getting my Pfaff 130 sewing machine taken apart and timed so it would run.

Hows every ones projects going on your own boats? I am leaving in a few days & running out of time... looks like some late nights getting things done.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Why do mobile refrigeration systems need to be so finicky, anyway? A house fridge or A/C runs for 15-20 years with no maintenance whatsoever. But as soon as you build an "RV" or "Marine" system- or a car A/C- to do the same job, it seems to become a maintenance nightmare....

My own projects aren't going very quickly right now- there are two boats (well, okay, three) on the drawing board, but they keep getting pre-empted by wedding plans (October), getting out on the lake (whenever the weather and the schedule agree), and the infamous Real Work....

3. masalai

masalai masalai

bntii, I have reconsidered and am going for standard domestic freezers and re-engineering with an external thermostat that shuts off the power externally so accuracy and response is down to 1 degree Celsius - saw the light on a friends boat, and uses FAR LESS electricity - - The modern freezer (better insulation) with enclosed shelves/drawers and de-rate by thermostat as a fridge:D:D:D

Just because it is labelled "marine" does not mean you get a bigger bang for the buck... - my Genset is about AU10,000 and a regular name brand with similar capacity is 2.5 times more and UP....

To see how my build is going, the link is below & in every post:D:D:D