Ship in bad weather

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, Jun 5, 2010.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. baboonslayer

baboonslayer Junior Member

3. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Ok, no boat for sale...but my chicken-meter still says I rather keep myself out of those kind of conditions. :)

4. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

"I actually saw almost forty footers on an ebb leaving Cross Sound once - It can get crummy like any pass/bar with an opposing sea and current."

Mark775, Yea South Inian Pass, can be a real "Hair Raiser" when the Wind & Tide are opposed, but it only lasts for about 10 miles. In the North Pacific & Bering Sea, when you are running 40 ft Seas and 90 Knot Winds for DAYS. There is NOTHING to hide behind, and that is a Fishing Day... When it Goes over 120 Knots, and 50 Ft you had better be Long Gone, to Port, or you may never be heard of again. There is a LONG List of Boats that have been lost when things get rough up there.... Many were just never heard from again, and there was nothing ever found. I lost a few good friends on the F/V Dauntless. Left Cape Spencer, headed for Kodiak. Last report was with Peggy Dyson, for a Wx Check, and about half way across. Nothing ever found, during the Biggest Low in 3 decades. Just Nasty.

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Fishing boats became a lot safer from the work of peopel like Marchaj at Southampton. Prior to decent regualtions and stronger boats there were entire fishing fleets decimated by storms. We forget how common and how accepted the fatalities were.

Mark and Murielle shouldn't worry too much:)

A stong seaworthy sailing vessel with a good auxilliary can be as safe as a custom designed lifeboat and a little less miserable to be in. The great range of positive stability and a high roll inertia of her boat will be good contributors. And small steel boats have great strength when designed and built properly .

Ships often make very heavy weather of gigantic swell conditions and can be lost with shifting cargoe and free surface. But a smaller vessel at a different scale relative to the big underlying swell is only bothered by the smaller local waves. What is called the response amplitue operator in the trade (RAO).

6. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

The breaking wave is highly airated and often not as vilent as you might expect for the energy in the wave. As surfers will tell you.
    But a vessel accelerating down or just falling down the face of such a wave is a different scenario. Thats what often bends the railings, stoves in the ports and scuttles and dismounts the engine. And can stove in the boat too.

I think it was the tiny vessel Sopranino in a violent storm in the Atlantic. they said they were below with everything shut, it was daylight but suddenly it went dark and then a lvery large wave collapsed completely over the boat. I bet he was very happy he'd considerably re-inforced that little boat.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

9. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

a Barlow 32 in a storm..... (the Barlow 32 is a Fisher clone from Oz)

(click pic for movie in Windows Media Player)
    [​IMG]
    (double click in the Media Player for full screen)

Here the same clip in Quicktime (that link doesn't work for me though).

a Barlow 32
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Angel

10. Angélique

Here a quote of a little conversation from the ‘Random Picture Thread’ which seems to be better in place here...

Good Luck!
    Angel

11. Angélique

More pictures and a video of the Balmoral* in the Bay Of Biscay.

* opening post of this thread.

Cheers!
    Angel

12. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

pretty imp stuff Angie
    Mike says white water is soft:)) pretty boat that

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Satisfied with that decision I can say: conditions are not what we have to fear (THE EXTREME YES), but our inability to cope with them.
    Most well built vessels are more capable than their skippers.

A force ten over a thousand miles fetch is nothing to fear. A force 8 close to shore is a different animal.

And We are the weakest link in the chain, not our vessels. We fail long before the equipment gives up.

Many of us know about the failure rate of the given hull material. Not one of us knows about YOUR (most not about their own), rate of failure in severe conditions.
    But thats going to sea. Knowing about abilities. Own and boats.....

White water is a dumb legend, there is no white water. Foam can destroy a maritime structure better than plain water. The "back suction" of a foamy wave is more powerful than the massive front. Do´nt go into "foam" ever when you can avoid it.

Regards
    Richard

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.