Shark skin coating

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Luis Cunha, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I was more worried about it soaking up water like a wetsuit.

I've tried hot air balloon material before, it lasted a whole five minutes.:D

Right now the thermal polyurethane I'm using, heat welds great with a household iron, but will not hold heavy duty upholstery polyester sewing threads well.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

That's what I once thought, but the heavy stuff over water gets sucked down and causes drag. Plus it's not responsive which means it's dragging on the ground as well.

The Russians use some heavy stuff for operating on ice (mostly) and that's what works for them.

What I'm using now is a coated on one side and only lighter version of what large Commercial/Military hovercraft use today.

So far it's wearing great but no one-part glue such as contact cement will work with it. It's apparently heat-weld only friendly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.