service bulletins

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by starville, May 18, 2008.

1. starville

starville Junior Member

Does anybody have access to service bulletins for Mercury MerCarb for 1976 20 hp? (or any merc stuff at all, I own 3 of them. The 20 is the only problem child lately) Thank you

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I dont think there was any service informations of 76 20's...
    I'd be guessing but I owned one when I was an apprentice and dont remember re working anything.
    Not a bad engine as long as you keep it in fresh water.

3. starville

starville Junior Member

Yes, this one is in Michigan fresh water. I did find a pile of bulletins online, but nothing pertinent to the 20 hp, as you said. After all the necessary repairs I did to this one, I finally had the prop reconditioned. It had no obvious damage, but that was the only thing left. Wish I could have put a tach on it much earlier. Either the hub was slipping to some extent, or the blades were bent and not pumping solid water, allowing the engine to over-rev and the fuel pump apparently was not keeping up. No more fuel starvation at full throttle with the new prop.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

I have a 1975 Merc, 20HP. Absolutely Trouble Free. Bought it new and used quite often up to 10 years ago when I started using a larger Boat/Motor.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.