Self-righting boats - statistics of capsize

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Alik, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Interested in statistics on self-righting boats capsize? Rescue boats capsize in severe conditions? Any published data?

Many of them experience capsize during training of crews, but how about real conditions?

Thanks.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

You would need to ask USCGS and other countries' Coast Guards.

The best data will be internal to them, usually not external - my guess.

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

There may be something in the 1990 SNAME paper, Design and Construction of the US Coast Guard's 47-ft Self-Righting, Heavy Weather Rescue Craft. By Cohen, Ghosh, and Shepard.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Or contact the UK's RNLI (but you probably already have). I "think" at least one of their NA's reads this forum

While on the subject, I recently received the following email regarding the revision of 12217

"I am delighted to report that FDIS 12217 was approved at the recent vote. We are now processing a considerable number of editorial comments submitted, and the revised standard should be published in the first half of 2013"

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

There would have to be some sort of incident report, surely?

If SOP is to send boat to maint for inspection, there would be a searchable code for this on the maint report, I would hope.

Back in the 80's, I could tell you how many flat tires the base commander's car had in a year, so somebody can get this with a push of a button. Find that person.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

what type of boats are you looking at?

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Looking at rescue boats, such RB-M, etc. Actually I discussed this issue with few manufacturers of self-righting boats, and most of them say no capsizes in service were reported excerpt those for training.

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Thanks.

Regarding ISO12217 - I have submitted some proposals also; the most important is modified formula for roll angle for 'wind and wave' criterion, for power catamarans. Presently the roll angle is assigned using formula for monohulls that severely restricts getting category A for powercats, with their peak of GZ curve at lower angles of heel. Modification of formula is proposed depending on how wide is the catamaran, wider cats possess lesser roll angles. Will see if they will accept it or not... evidently ISO developers do not have much experience with powercats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.