seems to say you can't use air-cooled diesel in a boat

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Squidly-Diddly, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Minor Customization Motor 4 Stroke 6 Cylinder Air Cooled Diesel Engine F6l913 For Deutz - Buy Minor Customizationmotor 6 Cylinder Air Cooling Diesel Engine,Air Cooled 4 Stroke Widely Used F6l 913 Diesel Engine,Air Cooled F6l913 Diesel Engine For Deutz Product on Alibaba.com https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Engine-4-Cylinder-Minor-Customization-Motor_1600495484693.html?spm=a2700.7735675.0.0.d116t9yEt9yEei&s=p

Why couldn't you just duct the heat out of the engine compartment?

My experience with air-cooled diesel generators at construction sites was that they were the loudest thing ever, so I guess that would be plenty of reason not to use air-cooled diesel on a boat.

Except for those nasty diesel generators, I don't recall any civilian air-cooled diesels.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I’ve run lots of those Deutz air cooled generators and air compressors on job sites, and they are definitely loud!
    I could often still hear them when home in bed.
    Hot air is also a huge byproduct of their operation, a large stack would be needed to get that heat safely away from the boat.
    The price is attractive.
    They’re covered with sheet metal shrouding and cooling fins, I doubt they’d survive well in a salty atmosphere.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Plenty of boats used to have air cooled diesels, even relatively big ones. Drawbacks are space for the air ducting and noise. They can also use a wet exhaust, but the advantages over water cooling disappear.

Kohler sells a marine generator with a hybrid air/water cooling called the LMG 4000/6000. The engine is an air cooled Lombardini 1 cylinder diesel.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Lister used to have air cooled marine diesels, my Dad had one on a yacht, the ducting came up through the deckhouse & out of the cabin top, he had a door on it to warm the cabin when needed, cold air came in via baffled vents in the front of cockpit, the exhaust was dry... all very reliable for years until the next owner put undersized corrugated flexible in place of the ducts... cooked ito_O
    A few local oyster barge tow boats had them too.

Jeff

5. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

I guess my favorite part of marine diesels, is having the wonderful world of on tap liquid for cooling.

kapnD likes this.
  6. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Do not underestimate the increased NVH from an air-cooled engine. The necessary cooling fins create additional surface area to radiate noise. The necessary fan is a significant source of noise as well.
    The significant heat thrown off is a serious issue as is the large and intrusive footprint and volume of the ductwork.

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Water jacketed cylinders are much quieter, and all the shrouding surrounding an air cooled motor develops many rattles
    Over time, and the air big blower creates noise too.
    My hearing is now quite compromised from years of exposure to such sounds, so nowadays I go the extra mile to keep my boats sound levels down, so I can have conversations ( other than with myself) and keep a radio watch while under way.

DogCavalry likes this.
  8. Magnus W

Magnus W Senior Member

I have a Finnish pilot boat with an air cooled diesel, Deutz 19 liter V12. The boats built for running in ice so the air cooling makes for a very simple cooling system without having to mess with clogged heat exchangers or strainers. And it’s nice to only have the propeller shaft to worry about with regards to seals and keeping water out of the boat.
    The boat’s from 1966 and just about free from corrosion. Most likely to a large degree related to the ventilated hull and lack of sea water inside the boat. The air intake for the cooling is well protected from spray and the twin outlets are great for drying stuff.
    Noisy? Not worse than similar output/displacement/rpm wet engines. That has, in my opinion, more to do with the boat than the engine.

9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Bet it is a Maximum Continuous Rating (MCR) issue; either that or an as supplied sump issue. Often disclaimers are based on things not under the manufactures control which could show the product in a bad light.

BlueBell likes this.

10. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Air cooling on an ice boat sounds like a solid use. 300 hp out of 19 liters is not exactly setting the world on fire for performance numbers. Wonder what the air flow requirements would be in a warmer climate.

I'm over here dreading dry turbos on tier 4 generators, and lamenting how much longer lasting the water jacket setups were....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.