seat cushon waterproofing idea

Discussion in 'Materials' started by vampiresquirrel, Jun 21, 2011.

1. vampiresquirrel

vampiresquirrel Junior Member

I have removed the OLD foam from out of my seat cushons. They has very
    thin plastic arround the foam (like dry cleaning bag) - no way that would survive long.
    What do you think of maybe using Tyvek as a replacement for the flimsy clear
    plastic. ?????? Would it be too "crunchy" feeling between the cushon and cover ???????????????????????????????????????

Tim

2. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

I believe the thin "dry cleaning" plastic is there to help get the cushion into the cover and not for the waterproofing. Many cushions have a mesh on the bottom to let water drain out and the open cell foam is popular because it lets the water run through it

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are three types of basic Tyvek, type 10, type 14 and type 16. The most common is type 16, which is perforated to let air and moisture vapor pass through it and is typically used as house wrap and coverall suits. It's not as strong as type 14, but draps better. Type 14 is the stuff commonly used in paper like products like envelopes. Both 14 and 16 are textured and milled to be soft. Type 10 is milled hard and has no texture or perforations.

There are a number of good choices for cushions, that can drain and don't promote mold. Tyvek wouldn't be my first choice for this.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.