Seacock manifold system

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kudu, Jun 19, 2003.

1. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Is it possible to install a manifold seacock system instead of drilling numerous holes into a newly constructed hull? The side benefit would be in an emergency I would only have to shut one main valve off instead of several small ones throughout the boat.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes. The main seacock has to be able to handle the flow. Sea chests are a common design.

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Look at the rec.boats.building newsgroup - there is a current thread on sea-chests.
    Steve

4. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Steve, This may sound lame but where can I find the newgroup rec.boats.building you speak of? Is it located in boatdesign.net or maybe Google?

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

kudu - you can do a group search in google - just hit the "Groups" tab and do an advanced search on "rec.boats.building", search for "seachest" during the last month or so.
    Good luck - let me know if you have problems.
    Steve

6. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Does anyone have any photographs or drawings of a sea chest type system that they could share?

7. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Cant find my drawings, but basically for my 47fter I was looking at about a 2" pipe coming up above the water line with a shut off at the bottom. and an inspection hatch at the top for cleaning and antifouling. Then individual pipes with valves coming off the central pipe. Much better than lots of holes. I have been in a situation where that set up prevented a (big) yacht from sinking.

Most of the big yachts (35m+) that I have worked on have a compressed air feed to the sea chest, then if anything gets sucked into it you just open the air valve and blow it out!

Paul

8. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks for the reply...Could the same result be obtained from a backflush system similar to one found on a swimming pool. Where an electric motor turns a pump that flushes water (controled by a multi-ported valve) in the reverse flow from normal, to clean the filter system?

9. kudu

kudu Senior Member

I agree with you on the safety feature of the sea chest...It is beyond me why builders go through the all trouble of building a fine hull then drill several holes in it..!!!

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

The June 2003 edition of "PassageMaker" magazine has an article on DeFever yachts that features a photograph of the sea chest in the engine room that most Defever's are fitted with. One of the features of their installation that I like a lot is that the sea chest extends above the LWL and is fitted with a gasketted bolt-on clear cover so that checking for and clearing debris in the intakes is easily done.

11. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Is there a screen or some other device that would catch debris before exiting the sea chest? Also, how would you measure the required volume/diameter of the sea chest needed?

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can install screens. Also, there is a grill on the outside. To figure out the diameter, add all the areas of all the supply pipes.

13. Raykenn

Raykenn Member

Seachest

Kudo,

Just wanted to pass along a recent mistake I observed in a seachest installation. The vessel though relatively small (40') is intended for commercial/quasi-military operation. I will not name the manufacturer other than they are from the U.S..

There were two immediate problems:

1. Because the engine space is cramped, the location of the seachest did not allow reasonable access for cleaning, service, etc., but it was close enough to the engine to act as a step!

2. This was the second problem. The manufacturer ran a plastic pipe ( approximately 1" dia) straight into the seachest. There was no valve between the pipe and the seachest connection. Within one week of delivery, a local swabbie stepped on the pipe using it to climb over the back of the engine, snapping it off, and creating an uncontrollable flooding situation. (He was immediately elected to stick his finger in the hole until a proper plug could be located)

While a steel seachest and piping is obviously more abuse resistant, I realize that this is not always possible. At minimum I recommend the installation of an isolation valve immediately between the seachest and each piping connection.

Regards

Ray

14. kudu

kudu Senior Member

AMEN Raykenn!! My thought was to place a valve between every outgoing pipe leaving the seachest. Not sure if this is "over kill" but it does give you the luxury of isolating an entire section for servicing.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I find it easier to install a master seacock. Instead of drilling holes and using several trough-hull fittings, you have a single through-hull. Another advantage is that the main seacock has a threaded out, so it is possible to just screw on pipes, adaptors, reducers or anything else you need.