Sea Stories and Tall Tales of the Seas by Forum Members

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hoytedow, Dec 6, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Pure bs that's been repeated until people take it as gospel.

The story was first published by the Washington Examiner in May of 2009, and proves that while figures don't lie, liars can figure. The percentage of Republicans whose dealerships were closed actually matches the percentage of dealers nationwide who are registered Republicans. Guess what? There are a lot more GOP-owned dealerships than there are Dem-owned ones. .

Facts and figures, including lists of car dealers and which party they mostly donate to, are here:

1 person likes this.
  2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Thanks for setting it straight. Actually I had never even heard the conspiracy story before. I guess there aren't to many urban legends promulgated at sea.

3. Yobarnacle

What's the dope on Area 51 and Roswell, NM? I don't believe in visitors from outer space. I definitely believe in life existing in other star systems. But I strongly suspect, if they came here with the friendliest intentions, they'd soon change their mind and wipe us out before we could infest the galaxy. Man is an agressive predator dangerous to everything else. And not infrequently to other men as well.

4. Yobarnacle

That's not a denouement. I like people and people are capable of great acts of love, sacrifice, kindness, and grace.
    But our eyes are front facing in our heads and we have flesh tearing fangs in our jaws. Lets admit we are predators and agressors and go on.

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Reminds me of several times at night in a parking lot when I walked into a tow hook sticking out from the back of a vehicle. Most are removable but people are too damn lazy. At least they could be painted white so there is a chance they can be seen; they are always black. Maybe if the pipe was a lighter color you would have seen it . . .

- Dubya would have to foot the lions share!

6. Yobarnacle

Most important lesson I learned in Vietnam, is how to use my peripheral vision. The retina directly behind the pupil gets burned and desensitized. The outer parts of the retina are far more sensitive. We see with the whole eye, but are accustomed to concentrating on whats in front of us. You can train your mind to shift focus to your periphery. You'll be amazed how well you can see at night and in other poor visibility situations using this skill.

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Hoyt, it was the Cumadin in my body that caused my "Inner parts" to fail at regulating my temperature.
    Add to that, most Diabetics died of Pneumonia before some of the newer drugs were discovered.
    I was 40 miles west of the Hiway, in the Bush for a month before the Devil discovered I was there.:p
    I had a great time. But wont ever be back there. Sad :(:mad:

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

On a Moose hunting trip in the Denali region of AK.
    I took some time to shoot some Ptarmigan for Dinner.
    Having a great time too. I used an old Bear Razor, without the Razor.
    I'd shoot one, get the Arrow, use my pliers to straighten out the bent Blade and had half dozen when I saw a Fox (with my peripheral vision) way off to my right.
    I made the Cackle sound of the Ptarmigan and the Fox's ears went up.
    He began to close in on me with a roundabout pattern.
    He'd stop and pee on nearly every bush.
    He went out of sight and I forgot him, went on shooting Ptarmigan.

A bit later on I shot another Ptarmigan and was waiting to see if some of them might stay for a Second shot. Nope!
    I was in the process of getting up when the Fox shot out from under my right arm. Jeez.....be still and start working again my fluttering heart!

That Fox had worked his way all around my right side and up behind me and just about had one of my Ptarmigan when I moved.
    Criminy I thought! What if that'd been a Bear.
    I always used my Peripheral vision when hunting....I thought....but NOW I do!:D

9. Yobarnacle

good story thudpucker :)

Buddy and I were hunting pulpwood stands we'd pre-scouted before the season. Had crib notes where we'd found sign or seen a deer. We'd drive along the logging trails from locale to locale we'd noted as promising. we'd park truck and hunt on foot. After a few hours, my buddy needed to take a dump. So we headed back to road. Didn't want to scare off game with a pile of man scent. My friend crossed road and disappeared in brush. In a short while he started yelling. I'm trying to see him, then I do. He's legging back to the truck, holding his pants at half mast. Making surprising good speed considering his encumberance. "What's up?" I hollered. "Bear" he yelled. I grabbed up my rifle and I'm looking into the brush. "Where?" I demanded. "Don't know." he was breathing hard, "behind". I'm looking real good. Buddy is at truck and fixing pants now. "What was the bear doing?" I demanded. Pal replied"Last I saw him , he was slipping and sliding in my turds!"

10. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

In the Fall, and in the Early spring, when you frighten a Bear, what you see is long liquid like squirts of Slurry still in the Air, as the Bear Departs out from under that stuff at hi Speed.

I got a Black Bear from across a lake one time. I rolled him down the hill and into the boat.
    When I got back to the Beach to bring it all back up to the pickup, I noticed the Bear had left a Large amount, like a bucket full, of that Slurry in my boat.
    I thought he was all through with that when I found him, as I had to slip n' Slide through it as I tracked him. :)
    But they dont 'dump' while they are denned up. So the Fecal bloc has to come loose as they come out.
    Longer story there, but its kind of a stinker!

11. Yobarnacle

I bet it is a stinker.
    Probably what my buddy saw was the bears own slurry flying. I never analyzed the story. I laugh long and hard when he said it, and still get a chuckle when I remember it. The thing I can't tell, was the expression on his face when he told it. Can't describe him.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Two of us went hunting up a river in a rubber boat. (I've really shortened this one)
    We deflated the main Boat and stashed it up in the Campsite.
    The other one, a pseudo two man survival raft, AKA the Meat Trailer, we left inflated, Tied to a Tree, down on the beach.

A young Grizzly Bear came along the River's edge. Walked right up to that boat.
    After sniffing it, he pulled on one side of it with his paw.
    The other side flopped up and hit him in the Head.

His reactions were so quick, he bit the other side of the boat as it got to his head.
    He was angry then. He shook that think like a Rat Terrier with a toy.

From there it went from Awesome to Hilarious. The Bright Yellow Boat became so much muddy yellow shreds on the beach.

We were across the River, had rifles and could have taken him out, but it was too much fun to watch him taking on that Rubber boat. If he'd have went up the bank toward the Camp though.....but he didn't.

13. Yobarnacle

they say that pepper spray and wearing bells to announce your presense are good non lethal defenses against black bear, but not grizzly. Learning to tell the difference in their spoor is wise precaution. Black bear spoor has small bird and fish bones and seeds from berries. Grizzly spoor is full of bells and smells like pepper.

14. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

That idiot taking photos and trying to live as a Bear with the Grizz, along with his Girl Friend, was probably not aware of that fact.
    Both of em' are long gone now so the Bears don't have to eat that stuff no more.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I know, it did the same thing to me. I was cold at 80 degrees F. Now that I'm off it, I am more comfortable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.