Scantling Calculations for high speed light craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bhaumik, May 22, 2013.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Junior Member

You apply the pressure as the load at the various locations. Integrating it over the entire hull would get you a resultant force, and not a meaningful or useful one. (Certainly not one that aids in hull design.) Since the seaway conditions affect different portions of a craft different ways, the pressure is higher in some places than others; this pressure distribution lets you design the structure that sees the heaviest loading to be the strongest and structure that does not see as high of loads to be lighter. The ruleset tells you how to design the plating and scantlings to the specified pressures.

Are you trying to do this structural design out of general interest or as coursework, or do you actually want to design and build a boat?

2. tapan khandelwal

tapan khandelwal Junior Member

hello, I have a 12m boat and I want to calculate the scantling so how to do that and which formula will use for this is a high-speed craft so. please help me out.
    i share images i want to design like this

Attached Files:

• 01.jpeg
      01.jpeg
      File size:
      192.5 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpeg
      03.jpeg
      File size:
      128.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Then look at the Specification and/or SOR of the vessel.
    That should tell you the duty, area of operation and what Class/Flag notations are to be applied.

That'll give you the answer you seek.

4. tapan khandelwal

first of all thanks for your reply, i have all thing i have done from maxsurf resistance powering calculation, etc but now i want to calculate scantling so I am confused now what is the step to do this and which formula is applicable for this 12m boat ISO 12215-5:2019 https://www.iso.org/standard/69552.html i need this book for scantling calculation please help me out.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Please read and reread my post above.

Do you have a specification for your boat?

6. tapan khandelwal

yes i have all specification hydrostatic particular of this boat and sir if you don't mind can we connect on mail or WhatsApp or other application please i really need help from your side, please.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

So, I shall ask again..
    What does the - Specification - state that the vessel is designed to satisfy?

8. tapan khandelwal

sir which type specification you want I do not understand, let me know the which calculation you want to tell me i will share with you or you can mail me on tapankhandelwal.tk@gmail.com or0+917742538948 WhatsApp me please.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you do not understand what the boat's specification is or its meaning, then you are way out of your depth.

It defines what the boat is for its objective and what it should do...

You said you have it..so read it, what does it say?!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.