Scale powercat model wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Thin water, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

I have started making plugs for molds for a deep V remote control boat for a large retailer of these hulls. I will make them and he will sell them.

He now wants a race style power cat and I am not good enough at model building to design and build this plug. (No I won't splash one belonging to another maker).

If any designer/builder/boat maker has a model I can use as a plug for a mold of around 44"-56" long I would be interested in making a mold of your design and paying royalties for each boat made.

I could have decals made for all of the boats I make with your boat company name on it that would really boost your name recognition as the retailer sells a lot of boats and these modelers post pictures of them all over the web.

Please send pictures and payments expected to thinwaterboats@yahoo.com

Also let me know if you can make such a model even if you don't have one on hand yet. Other cool designs considered.

Thanks,
    JIM

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Thinwater;
    You must be more specific about the power cat. Is it to be a top speed model, a casual toy, a scale model of some existing full sized boat ? ??
    Who comprises the target market ? 15 year olds or 50 year olds or other ? What kind of power will it have ? Electric, nitro, gas, jet, other. Design of these boats depend on the contemplated power plant and very much depend on the projected and realistic number of boats that are to be built.

Perhaps you know that there are some very competant power cat models out there already. They have the advantage of experience, research and developement, along with customer familiarity, and model magazine testing and endorsement, not to mention forums devoted to the subject where knowledge and opinions are diseminated. Such models are sold everywhere including hobby shops, custom builders etc.

Before you embark on this venture it is wise to have a contract in hand that will guarantee a certified order or blanket order for a considerable number of boats. Otherwise someone is merely playing you. Do some research in places like IMPBA, Web sites like Fastelectric.com, local powerboat modeler clubs, CYOAF!!!

3. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

It will be a serious play toy for adults, a fast boat but not full race compitition set up. Ready to run costs are expected to go well over $1200 with the hull retailing for about $400-$450 of that. Power will be nitro or 2 stroke gas engines.

Electric is also an option but not the goal, the standard
    5" stringer set up allows any power the builder wants.

Fifty of the Cat hulls sold by this summer is realistic but still speculation. At least 50 more deep V hulls are very likely based on the seven months sales last summer. A shoebox deck fit is preferred for faster assembly on my end.

The distributer is offering to pay all costs for the mold, plug, design, labor to make molds etc... so he would own the tooling if things don't go as planned. Based on his offer to lay out the cash I am sure he is serious and he sold a bunch of hulls until he lost his builder who went independent.

I have not accepted any money toward the tooling from him. I don't want to go retail and he is set up for it now. All he needs are the boats. That is where I come in.

There are a few boats of this size and power on the market. Most RC boats are the little plastic junk that wears out in 1/2 a season, about the time the low end buyer tires of it anyway. I will not compete with Hong Kong junk. Many people will pay good money for high end hand layed epoxy/glass, vacuum bagged carbon and kevlar hulls.

Thanks for the input,

JIM

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

sounds good Jim.
    Go for it.
    Best of luck with the project

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.