Salvaging

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by TimClark, Jan 1, 2006.

1. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

There is an old R-Boat in my harbor that sank last spring and now that it is salvageable I was considering pulling it up. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to pull it up. It's probably 10-15 feet down depending on the tide. The hull itself hasn't been exposed to the air so I'm not sure what condition it is in. I was considering sending a diver down to see if it was worth salvaging. Any ideas on pulling her up would be great. Thanks.

Tim

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Attach uninflated floats to her, then inflate em.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Be careful Timclark, is this boat yours? it is inside harbour limits and there are laws throughout the world on salvaging vessels inside harbours and other such places - don't go to a lot of expense and then find somebody takes it of you! They will, without compensation! Check it out first! I don't know the rules in your area but it does need checking (unless of course you are so rich you don't care in which case why do you want to recover and old wreck?)

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If it is as old as I think it is and has been well under for nearly a year, with daily tides rolling in and out of her, your best advised to leave it for the fish to play with. Boats don't just sit on the bottom and rest nicely, particularly in shallow, tidal areas. They roll around, bashing themselves to bits in pretty short order.

If you're truly interested in the kind of pain a salvage and restoration of this nature can become, then log onto www.Yachtauction.com and pick up a nice boat damaged by one of the hurricanes, maybe being sunk for only a day, or a week.

5. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

Thanks for all the info. Now that I am thinking of it I probably won't salvage it. And PAR the website had no boats on it when I went on. Thanks for the help.

Tim

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That was the location of a number (hundreds) of the hurricane damaged craft around the gulf states, but has apparently changed, linking to EBay yacht sales instead.