Sailors on a Mission

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guillermo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Just trying to help spread the word.

From Scuttlebutt:

"Sailors have a unique opportunity to demonstrate concern and respect for
    our threatened oceans and their inhabitants. So by signing the Blue Water
    Charter
    , each sailor agrees to limit the impact of their sailing activities
    on the marine environment. But perhaps more importantly, sailors agree to
    become an ambassador for the future of the oceans, estuaries, and inshore
    waters. Sign the charter today and join the movement to save our Oceans!"

Blue Water Charter:
    - Limit impact of toxins
    - Reduce, reuse and recycle plastics
    - Promote awareness of ocean acidification
    - Nothing non-biodegradable overboard!
    - Dispose of organic waste thoughtfully
    - Anchor harmlessly
    - Respect marine life

Sailors on a Mission is an all volunteer non-profit foundation committed to improving health care for children and to raising awareness for our endangered oceans through sailing adventures.

2 men, 1 boat, 2100 miles of open ocean:
    Jean-Philippe and Stephane have committed themselves to a 15 day human adventure by racing across 2,100 miles of open ocean from San Francisco to Hawaii in a 24 foot sailboat - the smallest boat in the fleet. The event will take place in July 2008.

The project 'Le Flying Fish' will solely rely on the sun as a sustainable energy source to power the electronics: SSB radio, navigation instruments, laptop... No CO2 emission! The strategy will be fairly simple: minimize power consumption to the strict necessary.

Details at http://www.sailorsonamission.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Cheers

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Can't see why we need to sign anything, most sailors do this as a matter of course - not to save the planet, more to save money!! Power and enrgy is so damn expensive!!

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Safie,

You're right, the practices are the right ones, and they are what all sailors should be doing. Unfortunately, "should do" and "do" are all too often different.

Anything that promotes respect for the oceans and reminds everyone that we need to be careful is a good thing. If everyone were really as careful as you say, there wouldn't be so much damn plastic floating around!

4. Guillermo

Yeap! A lot of sailors still have to be educated as to not conceive the sea as the "big rubbish dump". I have heard this expression from otherwise salty and sensible sailors too often when child. Even nowadays we still have a problem with commercial fishermen (and not only) around here, in spite of all educating efforts.

Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

can only say, that although I do regard Aussies as , well less than educated!! , they do have great respect for the Oceans, I see em coming ashore with their plastic bags full of , , well plastic!!
    Better still, would it not be the bestest idea to reject at source, anything packaged on plastic?

6. Guillermo

Now going for some days out sailing with my children. See you all again soon.

Cheers!

7. murdomack

murdomack New Member

From what I have seen over the years, most of the rubbish got dumped by the galley staff, even on ships doing short voyages. I spent a week on a large vessel doing sub-sea work 3 weeks ago and was shocked to see rubbish in the water one night at midnight. We were on DP at the time so it was not going to dissapear quickly. Old habits die hard I'm afraid. Of course nobody owned up.

8. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

A way to make it fun is to practice MOB drills to recover floating garbage.

Great way to keep good seamanship skills sharp and the crew to help keep a proper look-out. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. safewalrus

Murdo, totally agree there, old habits do die hard, but education is a must and the next generation must be taught now before they too get into the habit! But how? aye there is the crux! You need to make these guys want to clean up their act. Unfortunately the average 'profesional seafarer' sees the sea as a means to and end and as he's constantly moving, like all gypsies, it ain't his to care about (besides which its easier to chuck it overside than clean it up - out of sight out of mind!) that has to change - now!! The big stick is good but does not always work!

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Cool idea, Randy. :)

11. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Thanks,

I started picking up junk from the local waterways and now I try to find at least one piece of garbage to 'rescue' every time I take the boat out. Works even on a stinkpot ... (oh the shame) :)

12. safewalrus

In the process it also helps both you and the crew in coordination, semanship, boat handling, and cooperation Plus of course rather than using your 'own' gear IF it goes wrong you don't loose anything (except maybe pride and the piece of 'rubbish', OK that's bad but it shouldn't be life threatening)

A really neat idea!!

13. Guillermo

Here an image from my four boys aboard good old Marie these last days. They are well taught about not littering the sea....;)
    Girls decided to remain ashore to enjoy some days without boys (we were seven. Clever girls!)

Cheers.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Aye, you have a fine crew there

Murdo

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Guillermo,

Who was at the helm then? :D :D :D

Best regards,

Perry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.