Sailing Experience

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Probably propaganda. Where did you see this ?

2. masalai

masalai masalai

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

On the little tri -

I had the sail made larger from 8m^2 to 12m^2 and added aft stays to keep the mast from bending so much. The centre of sail force is more or less smack centre, and no I don't have a daggerboard or keel yet.

Now something funny is happening. It happened twice thile trying to tack that the tri stalled (in irons) and started to drift sideways ! like a crab. Weirdest thing. The only way I could get out of it was to let the sail out (remember it's an aft mast sail) that would push the nose more downwind.

The other thing that is weird, before I could tuck the sail in really tight, however with the bigger sail I have to let it out more to get max speed with the result I'm sailing with a bigger bulge in the sail, female instict tells me it should be like before... streight(er) ?

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Masalai, you have to relaize that video was unasked for. There a lot of stupid things like that going on, but only the 'white' acts are screamed about. They wouldn't publish anything about the things the black chefs throw into white people's food in restaurants...

If someone breaks into a 'whities' house and shoot at him the police won't come out. If you ***** slap a philamon (tshwanier) for sitting on your car's hood and damaging it it will take about 6 police cars less than 60 seconds to come and arrest you - the racist - for attacking the f that damages your car.
    When they were shooting at you in your own house they don't have members to react to the the call. F U, won't you say ? Someone I know got shot 4 x in his house. He lied bleeding there for 3 1/2 hours before the ambulance pitched up. Two weeks later the police were't there yet to investigate.

Newest here is a threat to ban all firearms - no one will then be able to defend himself against these armed (with firearms of course) gangs raiding properties.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

I didnt feel in a position to make comment - so I didn't then, The post was more to highlight the stupidity of some expressions of frustration, and reverse racism as is implied in general despair often expressed by SA friends here who have "escaped" to Australia...

You & manie and others should join the move... http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/bblog.html is on building a Bob Oram C-44, click on the "lighthouse" for the home page of a Queensland electronic boating mag... All sorts of tradies are NEEDED by the booming mining industry in Australia... (Not the shovel & pick any more- huge machines, electrics and more...)

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Got some pics of the "unusual"? behaviours... I agree, usually sails are cut "flat" for multis so if your "maker" was more attuned to mono work he may have put too much belly in it... The stall could be due to the lightness of your boat, - to tack, get up speed and turn sharply so you get around - before losing way (forward momentum) - and go a bit further then when sail is filled tighten up until you have maximum vmg (velocity made good to windward) - do not try to outpoint a mono, cats often do not like being "choked" (pointed too high into the wind) and go better if freed up a bit to get boat speed up... my other thought is that possibly the single sail is too big and 2 jibs may be better - but try that last... Learn the different sailing techniques for sailing cats first...

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Fanie, Manie and Wynard as the man said get the fcuk out of that country, it ain't safe for humans there anymore! It's going the same way an other African states once the philomons get rid of the whites - they think they can run it - they can't! Can a stoneage man do calculus? Same difference - get out - for your families sake at least (and send them on ahead)

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

That's what always amuses and frustrates me about the "ban all guns" types and their proposals for laws to ban guns, supposedly to cut the violent crime rate. Although the papers and TV news play them up like WW III, the actual number of shootings, accidental or in anger, by mostly law-abiding folks is very, very small. The problem is shootings related to robberies, drug deals gone bad, gangs, and hardened criminals. So we make a law banning guns ... OK, will someone please tell me what effect a new law will have on people who make a career of disobeying laws?? :confused:

I just saw a documentary on bank robberies. In one incident, two men robbed a bank, wearing body armor and carrying AK 47's with 20 magazines each. They killled 4 civilians and 2 cops, wounded 14 others, and held off more than 40 cops in all for two hours before being killed. They simply had more firepower and protection than the police. Everything they had is illegal for civilians under existing laws. Duh, they're criminals, violating laws is what they do!!

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Back to topic ...

Fanie, multihulls are notorious for stalling mid-tack in light airs. My first time in a cat I perfected the "swim tack": dove overboard and towed the bows around to come about. Fortunately I was in the Bahamas so the water was warm, but I spent more time swimming than sailing until I got the hang of building up speed before trying to tack and steering far off the wind at first, then pointing up gradually. I suspect those rules are even more applicable with the "fanie rig". :D

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

To follow on from Charlies comments on banning guns. as you probably all know most guns are banned from public ownership of any kind in this country, even our Olympic treams have to go abroad to practice! FFS!! Going to be very interesting in 2012 when the Olympics come to London!!!

But how many abroad are aware that most weekends there are several killed by gun crime in the country. True they are mostly young and black (or one of the many shades thereof), but how can this be when the government has banned ALL handguns and most rifles/shotguns in various 'kneejerk' laws!

Only the criminals in this country now go armed - please guys if your country still has the right to carry and own arms for your sake (and that of your families) fight to keep it that way. IF YOU DON'T YOU'LL LIVE TO REGRET IT!!

the crazy thing is the sound of gunfire echos across this part of the country daily - we have one of the largest gun ranges just outside of town! Yet no civilian can use it, crazy!!

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It seems most gov's work back to front when it comes to some things. If they have a polution issue they won't ban cars, it's far easier to pick on the guys who smoke. Same with firearms. A friend of mine's brother was in a hostage situation one night, then they phoned we went there right away and the police was there just gefore us. They were fairly PO when I asked them if they checked if the philamon's were licensed to have guns. The poor idiot that tries to do everything right always gets screwed, while the crooks doesn't have to go through all the discomfortable procedures. Anyway, they escaped (as usual), lost a pistol during the get-away. Couple of days later one died of aids and another one of them shot his accomplice during an argument. Police finally got the rest of them after that. Anyway, sorry I brought it up. Sailing is much more pleasant.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

OK. Back to boating.

There is a huge difference between the 8m sail and the 12m sail (at least 4m eh Frosty :D Beat you to it, didn't I ?) You can feel by the force from the rope on the clew.

Now since this is the forerunner for my boxy fisher cat, which I designed to have a 50m sq sail :eek:, I'm looking for a volunteer to pull the sail in each time we tack :D Must have strong arms and eat fish :D

I didn't know that mono's should have a flatter cut in the sail... where can one get more info on this ? Be a bugger to have a 50m sail that works like an umbrella :rolleyes:

I suspect the rudder I have may be too small, so I'll remake it sometime. Something else I noticed is that when the wind is pushing a bit you have to really put some force on the rudder to keep the tri going where you want it to go - is this normal or is there something I overlooked ? Not having a daggerboard or keel I suspect would have an effect on this, right ?

Charlie, I envy your guts to swim the boat to line up in the right direction instead of tacking, however ! I don't think it is going to work so well with a 10m cat in our seas :D

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, How are you going, do you get to contact Manie at all?

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Masalai !

Thanks for asking - I'm doing ok - kinda - I'm just too buzy, too much to do and too little time. I'm still around, hopefully things would begin to look up in due time.

Manie was here some time ago, I was going to give him a call again but I suspect he sleeps by the time I can sit and call him - that is currently between 02h00 and 04h00 :D

I'm currently battling to get the laser cutter parts together, I have a lot of plastic parts to make from time to time and takes too long on the mill. When done I could save about 3 days at a time.

And you, are you behaving ? :D

15. masalai

masalai masalai

As usual - - in the sh^^ or being mischievous.. been talking with Heinz about "global politics and economics" on that thread (I started)... http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=197653&posted=1#post197653
    and here http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=197643 plus the usual dungeon threads with the occasional foray about where I have a little knowledge or understanding (I have as little as anyone - less than most):D:D:D as it would seem...

Stay safe, join Manie if you feel the need...