rudder size

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by adiksayang, Mar 3, 2006.

1. adiksayang

adiksayang New Member

hello..i'm a student of marine technology.recently my lecturer assigned me to find the rudder size of 78 ft tugboat and also how much torque can be applied to steer the boat.can anyone tell me the answer?

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You are supposed to figure it out for yourself.

3. Vega

Vega Senior Member

4. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

ask for help, not answer...

Hey,

I think you might get a better response if you ask for help rather than asking for the answer outright... There are some rules of thumb for rudder area, perhaps in PNA or ship design and construction... I've heard 1-2% of lateral area for typical merhant ships. This might be very different for tugs as they've got a lot of power and relatively little lateral area.

As far as lift or turning moment goes, pick a section and do the calcs... Abbot n' Von Doenhoff might be a good place to start...

-Dave

5. adiksayang

adiksayang New Member

thanks! it just i'm not so good in english words...i will remember that

6. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Since tugs tend to have slow turning wheels, a good rule of thumb is:
    The square root of the length at waterline equals the TOTAL surface area (surface area of both sides) of the rudder. So, if the waterline length of the tug is 78' then the square root is 8.83 square feet for the total surface area. One side therefore has a surface area of 4.415 (round to 4.5) square feet. The rudder should extend both above and below the propeller at least a couple of inches, so the diameter of the propeller plus 4" will be the height of the rudder and, by dividing the area by that you will find the length of the rudder. Try to fit 1/3 of the surface area forward of the rudder post to give a "balanced" rudder. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.