rudder blade

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Scofield, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Scofield

Scofield Junior Member

I need a prediction method or something similar for rudder blade area prediction for motoryachts.
    I am working on 21m motoryacht and i have to design a rudder for the boat.
    I do not know a prediction method for the rudder blade area and rudders form.
    If anyone has advice a resource about this subject, i will be happy.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Go to the Professional Boat Builder site, and find an article in their free archives.

FF

3. Olav

Olav naval architect

The aforementioned article in Professional Boatbuilder (written by Eric W. Sponberg iirc) is a really good source to get an idea about rudder design and engineering.

If you want to go simply straightforward I recommend to use the GL Rules and Guidelines which can be found here. Have a look at Part 3 (Special Craft) / Chapter 3 (Yachts and Boats up to 24m) / Section 1 (Hull Structures) for rudder sizing and scantlings. Other Classification Societies may have something similar but GL is what I'm familiar with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.