Rudder bearing service

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kudu, Jun 26, 2003.

1. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Once again looking for your intellgent responses! In the hopes of getting various issues solved beforehand, I need help here. During the construction of my hull I want to incorporate a mini bulkhead affair that would encapsulate the rudder post. It will be designed to be sufficently above the waterline to allow the safe removal of the rudder. I would like the capability of replacing all bearings while in the water if the need ever arose. Is this worthwhile or just my paranoia?

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Kudu,
    You're paranoid...... (in this case) You shouldn't need to have to do that kind of thing. In 10+ years of drawing boats for solo round-the-world racing, I have never drawn a dry-replaceable bearing, or heard of anyone needing such a beast. Rufdder bearingsare the most lightly-loaded bearing system in the boat - limited range of movement, extremely slow rotational velocities, etc.
    Should you feel the need for something to make you feel safe, however, just build a rudder tube that is continuous from hull to deck, and line the whole thing with a Dixon/Furon CJ bearing or similar. Insert rudder and forget. ;-)
    Steve

3. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks for the input...Sometimes I tend "over build" in preparation for the worst! Glad to hear this is one item that doesn't require the same amount of attention.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.