Route du Rhum 2014

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

From the following article on the Prince de Bretagne Maxi 80 website:

http://www.princedebretagne-mer.com/actualites/303-tous-au-fastnet

I've tidied up the translate a bit to make it more legible:

"Test, measure, to calibrate..."

Skipper Lionel Lemanchois noted "It will be very interesting to race (Fastnet Race) with Banque Populaire VII, to see how Prince de Bretagne is positioned in speed relative to this large trimaran." This race will also measure the speed gain allowed by the canting mast, especially against the MOD 70, competitors that we know well after the Route des Princes. It is the perfect race to to calibrate", explains her skipper. "Wednesday, we sailed and we canted the mast in all directions in 20 knots of wind about. Everything has to operate impeccably! The boat is lighter at the helm, it luffs (comes back to the wind) more easily," he added, reinforced by the first navigation test in the wake of the modifications with the installation of the system of ropes and hoists to cant the rig.

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

3. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

The Lastest from them is they probably will not be entering unless they can solve the problem re sails.

Lady Spindrift 2 states the sails are far to big and heavy.

On there return trip home from Trinite-sur-Mer they tried with him Yann Guichard: sailing solo but could not handle the enormus sails by himself.

Whats More it is not designed to be sailed Solo.

OC

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'd not be surprised if we see a more modest rig fitted to Spindrift 2 should they choose to commit to the 2014 Route du Rhum the tone of the article is non commital. There is the potential to push Spindrift 2 harder with a higher margin of safety than that offered by BPVII.

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The sister ship to Sodebo, Oman Air - Majan has been repaired and renamed Cap Alternance Marc Theircelin is seeking additional sponsorship to cover the costs of racing the boat in the 2014 edition of the Route du Rhum so not a certainty but hopefully the funding can be found.

Here is the rough bing translate of the sponsors website:

Opcalia and Marc Thiercelin, professional skipper, join forces to promote and enhance the image of the alternation with youth, families, businesses, media... And invite you to participate in a great collective adventure: the rehabilitation of the 3rd largest trimaran in the world to participate in the next edition of Route du Rhum in November 2014.

Up to the start line, Cape alternation and its skipper will be the vector of multiple events in ports and the cities of France to mobilize the forces of alternating on each territory and promote the professional sectors, trades. And the preparation of this giant of the seas of 32 meters in the competition will involve more than 100 French companies and their employees, including nearly 30% of young provided alternately.

http://www.capalternance.fr/

Attached Files:

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

7. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

That sounds like a terrible time. At least it won't last for too long. I still think Lionel's record will be hard to beat. Just like Joyon's non stop record, perfect weather.

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A press release from Team Lalou on their Multi50's status and what they have been doing since their capsized Multi50 Arkema was towed to Madeira and righted.

http://www.routedurhum.com/fr/s03_actualites/s03p02_detail_actualite.php?actu=76

and the rough bing translate thingamajig :)

News from Lalou Roucayrol and his trimaran Arkema - Region Aquitaine
    Des nouvelles de Lalou Roucayrol et de son trimaran Arkema - Région Aquitaine

It's been more than 10 weeks that the trimaran injured Lalou Roucayrol arrived in the port of Caniçal in Madeira, after its capsize on the Transat Jacques Vabre November 10, 2013. Still moored in the port, still injured, the trimaran waits for the end of discussions with insurers to be rehabilitated. So far, the team of Lalou Multi, the skipper and his loyal partners mobilized to achieve the objective n ° 1 of the 2014 season: be at the start of the Route du Rhum which will start from St Malo November 2 next with a competitive boat and to play the leading roles.

How are you since your return to Madeira?

I am fine. The capsize is behind me we are now in the phase of reconstruction. Following the capsize, the team and myself have made a real round of introspection and set up a new line of conduct. It is thus a new Lalou that begins this year 2014! I'm already clearly mode preparation of the Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe: I'm very careful with my diet, my sleep and I do a lot of sport. Every day, I have a complete program and I alternate between the race walk, cardio exercises, bodybuilding and navigations. I navigate with everything that floats at the tip of the Verdon! It passes the catamaran, to the mini 6.50 with Quentin Vlamynck, or even sea kayaking. I'm in a positive frame of mind and I look to the future.

What are the news of the boat?

The situation of the trimaran, still moored in Caniçal, is complex. After several months of research active in an attempt to repatriate him, we are now in discussion with the insurer in an attempt to rehabilitate it on-site. However to carry equipment up to Madeira, including the new mast, is almost impossible. We are therefore studying the possibility of organizing the construction in the Canary Islands. The decision will be taken in the coming weeks. In the meantime, we have already launched the construction of different parts broken when capsized: two bar - more design positions - two new rudders, which will be better adapted to the boat, and the mast. We also ordered a new set of sails, but above all we are working actively on the new boom. In collaboration with Arkema, a new resin developed for its construction. This allows us to continue to work on the development and improvement of the boat, in relying on the skills of our partners in Aquitaine and Arkema researchers.

Your partners so loyal to your project?

Oh yes! I would like to thank each of them, particularly the Region Aquitaine and Arkema. Their behaviour following the capsize was exemplary. I have received countless messages of support, and they mobilized in order to continue this adventure together. None of them has called into question its commitment. I also attended vows organized at headquarters of Arkema and in one of the Group's subsidiaries. I have always received a warm and enthusiastic welcome. All this allows to consider the future and us out of the present constraints. All the partners realized that we needed time to rebuild the ship, because particular complexity, so we adapted the 2014 sports program to these constraints.

What is the projected schedule for 2014?

A priority we intend therefore to do the reclamation site in the Canary Islands during the month of April to have a boat ready to sail at the beginning of the month of May. I would like to make the first navigations there, before transporting the boat towards the France. Then, I shall focus me on solo drives before you participate in the trophies of the Prince and the port de Fécamp planned through the end of August. It is important for the Multi50 class and to get back in competition against my fellow mode. Finally comes the main objective of the season and the whole project: the Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe.

9. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

That bit in red is more accurately "the two helm stations, a better design (of them)".
    Evidently those fancy cowlings with big improved plexiglas surfaces did not survive the capsize and tow.

Found an article here (which vanishes to non subscribers after a few seconds, I had to read it quickly!) where Lalou also mentions that their new mast will have the same shape but be 'less rigid because the structure of the boat is itself very stiff"

He goes on to say "In regard to the boom, we'll be wanting it to be stiffer than the old one. Romaric has designed a new one ... The boom will be built with a resin developed by Arkema, entirely recyclable, the resin of the future, and in collaboration with CANOE, the project of the regional council for composite materials. The two new helm stations will be fabricated in the same manner."

There's quite a lot of stuff on the internet about this CANOE project (if you search on "projet canoe") - which deals mainly with nanoscience it seems.

:cool:

And something totally unrelated, I also happened across an article about Lalou and Fabienne Baron's civil wedding service in 2011.

Lalou has actually managed to find a spouse whose smile is at least as twinkling as his!

Well done!

10. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I noticed there was something more about the rudders on Arkema, in that article mentioned above:

Today I saw a few remarks that I'd missed at the time, regarding Arkema's capsize on Nov. 11 a couple of days into the Jacques Vabre (thread here).

The earlier thread about Arkema: Team Lalou's new Multi 50 trimaran

It sounds like Arkema's insurance was pretty useless, if they have made no progress during 3 months regarding getting the boat in for repairs.

And has it been mentioned that J.P. Dick's MOD70 Paprec-Virbac (capsized a month earlier) is for sale? Presumably they ended up with too little insurance as well?

Voilesmulticoques wrote (Dec 9) that "It is a yet another reversal for the MOD70 class, which is probably living its last hours, with two of seven constructed boats for sale; no racing at all programmed, and an Ultimate circuit only in the early stages."

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thats wild! Great for the Team.....

14. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

Doesn't look like a collision. Was that ever put up as a possible reason for the damage?

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've not heard of an official explanation but the crew didn't allude to hitting anything other than waves. It looks like a pretty clean break on the float bow side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.