rotating mast stay attachment

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bob the builder, Nov 17, 2009.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

RW,

I am afraid I am also sometimes guilty of getting upset by connections that are not obvious to someone else. Possibly anyone else. I always hope I at least try to get it corrected.

Seemed like a very creative reaction, in a senseless fashion.

Its all past far as I am concerned.

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Back to the question.

BTB, I have a slightly smaller rig on a 24, and I have tried both the single shackle and swinging side tangs. My side tangs were mounted on a through bolt just ahead of the mast center line, and were nice (expensive) Colligo titanium. I used them for one season, and have since taken them off. I never could get enough mast rotation with them, even with the side stays very slack. I switched back to the single shackle- a big winchard that doesn't seem to bind. I use dyneema mainsheet block hangers on my boom and move them fore and aft depending on how much "thrust" I want on the on the boom, and control over rotation with a mast lever and line led to the bottom of the boom. My current boom and main sail overhang the traveler, but I also used a boomless main with multiple clew points, and used a deck mounted rotation limiter. It worked well and was very simple and light.
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.