Rookie wants recommendations

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by musicpost, Jun 28, 2006.

1. musicpost

musicpost New Member

Dear People,
    I hope my post is appropriate for this site. I am a rookie sailor and interested in getting the right boat for me. I live in Bellingham, WA, a bay-front town right next to the San Juans, Vancouver Island and Vancouver, B.C. (60 miles). I want a boat that is safe for ocean cruising, has some cabin space to stay overnight, can be sailed by one person, good record on maintanence/ease of upkeep. I'm looking at a Ranger 23, 1974. Wondered about a San Juan 21. Columbias are supposed to be solid. What do all of you think! I thank you very much! David Post

2. Buc

Buc Junior Member

The Ranger is a great boat for what you suggest and better built than the San Juans or Columbias. The Columbias will likely have more room -- you'll find the SJ-21 very cramped. The R-23 is capable of sailing anywhere in the Northwest and has reasonable accommodations. My only objection to it is the location of the head under the V-berth, but this is common in a boat this size.

Note, a SJ-24 should sell in about the same price range as the R-23. If you're interested in racing, there's a big fleet of the 24s in Seattle and others scattered around the PNW. No doubt you have a few in Bellingham. That said, I'd probably still favor the R-23 even for racing.

3. musicpost

musicpost New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.