Roll Control using foils

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Wingz, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Wingz

Wingz Junior Member

When I can go to my local marina and rent a 30 foot day sailor with foils, and on a breezy day wow my girlfriend with a 40 knot ride, then I will change that statement. In the mean time, thanks for the info, I am sure there are a number of people out there that have not heard yet and can use it.

Perhaps with your vast knowledge on the subject, you can post just a few of the boats you have built yourself and the experiments you have done for us, and some of your original ideas on the matter so that we can all understand where you are coming from. Videos of your speed trials would be beneficial. It would be interesting to hear about your work on projects like Maquaire Innovation or SailRocket and particularly about your experiences on Hydroptère. Have you ever gone sailboarding?

2. Wingz

Wingz Junior Member

That is what I meant by 'entertainment'.

It is like the guy who built a light airplane and mounted a sail on top. I don't think he ever got it to fly, but with the wingsail tech of today where land sailors are doing 126 mph, maybe, just maybe he wasn't so foolish after all.

3. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

Wingz, you really need to do a bit more research on how a boat actually sails, you mention that foils are not utilised below the water in boats, this is fundamentally wrong, the keel/centreboard and rudder are foils and do generate lift in exactly the same way as a sail - high velocity low pressure fluid flow... the way you have configured your idea it can not work

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.