lightest possible dingy

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Charlyipad, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

My dingy is really slowing me down. It is Dave Gerr's Nester. She's light for her length, rows well with good reserve bouancy, and is stable with a load. She's too long though, to hoist up on the tramp of my 36' cat. I've been pulling her around on a short leash locally, and for local purposes she suits me quite well.

But now I need a shorter dink that I can hoist up on deck- probably 9' long max, but shorter still would be better. she needs to be three person capacity, w/positive flotation, and as LIGHT as possible, within reason. (forget about carbon, etc) she needs to be affordable.

I hate RIBS and don't have or plan to have davits.

If you were going to build a dingy like the above How would you do it? What plan would you use? what materials and methods? Ply vs foam? If foam, what thicknesses? Infusion is out, though I know how to vacuum bag stuff.

THanks!

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Have you seen my Crayfish? Built with two and a half sheets 4 mm ply (although I did once build one in 2.5mm, it was a bit too light really)

Takes 3 easily (I once had James Wharram and Hanneke with me in mine) very stable, sails rows and motors

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

1 person likes this.
  3. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Thanks Richard, that looks exactly right. I suppose if you are rowing and not motoring, and you need to get a couple of folks ashore you could seat them mid ships and push row from the transom?

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Better to have one sitting on the foredeck and one aft. But my wife and I used to row together, both on the main thwart, takes practise to avoid aguements!

The big advantage of the small light boats is that you can get them on board without removing the outboard (we had a 2.5hp 2 st) and so even though the boat only does 4-5 knots we beat most cruisers ashore allowing time for them to crane their RIB into the water and then attach a big heavy outboard

its amazing how many cruisers think they need a 40-50hp outboard on their dinghy

Another advantage is that plywood dinghies with small outboards are not very desirable if left on a beach

Richard Woods

5. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Good deal. I just ordered the plans. Shopping now for Okume...

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The Grumman Aluminum dinks are light , under 9 ft and row or sail or power well.

A search of craigs list might find one.

These are by far the best for going ashore on a rocky beach.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.