Sprayguns.....

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Roly, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Can anybody recommend a cheap gravity spraygun for polyurethane 2pac for topside painting.?
    I can remove the gravity feed & place my pressure pot line into the top if need be. I have done this with my Sharp with a 2.3 tip for hi build epoxy & it worked well. I have some crappy chinese guns 2.0 & 1.7 but they don't give me any confidence, altho I've been told they do make some good look-a-likes of name brands. I aint making a career outa this hence the cheap! Besides its "hand to mouth" getting this boat finished.
    Ta.

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

On this side of the Tasman we get "Star" brand guns, generally copies of higher cost guns like Iwata etc. Here is some http://www.transquip.com.au/categor...-&-STAR-AIRTOOLS/STAR-GRAVITY-FEED-SPRAY-GUNS , your local panel shop/spray painters supplies should be able to help. I've had excellent results through to average with these guns but the variance would be up to this operator ;) Spend some time on set up & practice shots & on small items discipline yourself to a break for a cuppa tea between passes.Jeff.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use one of those cheap gun copies and change the nozzle with the original. It will save you a lot of money and give you good quality.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Theres nothing wrong with cheap guns if they are clean. the bleed holes 4 on the nozle needs to be pristine.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Make a pressure pot and use one of those crappy chinese guns !! IT WILL WORK !! :p

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I dont have any trouble with them. Can I suggest the proverb a poor workman blames his tools.

You can even adjust air line pressure in the gun and the fan --what more do you want.

If your painting metalic you need to know what your doing but with todays method of laquer its still easy.

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Cheers guys.
    I'll give the yet untried 2.0mm a trial on a test panel. It doesn't have line pressure adjust at the gun but I can easily rectify that. I've done no PU 2pac spraying & just assummed you needed Graco or De Vilbiss stamped on the side to get decent adjustment/ finish.
    I guess I tend to tar all chinese products with the same brush. If one thing falls apart
    they all are going to. Cheap=crap, not necessarily so.

For the hibuild epoxy I used a pot pressure of 20psi & tip pressure of 60psi. Would it be similar for the PU? Guess I'll just have to trial a it to get good atomisation for the viscosity of the PU. I'll go for a sunny day with low humidity & manufacturer spec for
    thinners.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

They just need cleaning like they all do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.